No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby cut classical scene vase for show and thought's.  (Read 1262 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Ruby cut classical scene vase for show and thought's.
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 04:55:01 PM »
In my defence Chris and Robert ambushed and threatened me with a glass swan and an iridescent mushroom. There were two of them and only one of me...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 06:16:20 PM »
 ;D ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 06:34:42 PM »
Libellous defamation indeed, John, the glass birds I saw were safely under domes, not being used as weapons!

In his post, Paul does have a point, one mentioned frequently on GMB, regarding handling-seeing a piece, versus a photo only. Photos alone are sometimes inadequate by comparison when assessing some glass items. 

bOBA (Robert)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Could start the new club in my renovated shed Rob what do you think?. I do try and get the best pictures i can take honestly.
Chris Parry

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2017, 10:15:05 PM »
Veering off on a tangent here but the stem and foot and base finish and perhaps the rim,remind me of this Moser vase:

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/156004-a-moser-karlsbad-oroplastic-amber-vase

Moser I think (? would need to be checked) did a red on clear cameo.

The way the design is etched somehow reminded me slightly of the oroplastic etchings.

m

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2017, 11:14:34 PM »
Interesting Moser spot there M. I see what you mean about the foot shape similarity. It would be possibly an idea for Chris to send a pic to the Moser info if he wanted to and see if their historian would comment. I am not sure if they produced cranberry, cut to clear, cased and etched pieces (or not). I still think a Stourbridge search is equally worthwhile, possibly even a dig at the Himley archive and Dudley Archives, when time for anyone permits. Moser could surprise me and claim it as theirs... I think it is a lovely and interesting thing whoever made it! Hopefully the truth will out in the near future!

You photos do the job for glass discussions Chris. As for a club, I that an informal Stourbridge glass collecting club or circle would be possible, but you may need to extend the shed if popular, if more than you, I and Keith showed up! Sadly, I may be excluded from a club of new members here, as I think I registered less than a year after Paul (and John a few months after that I think). The GMB itself is a kind of club in any case, I am sure most would agree, united in an interest in glass.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2017, 08:22:29 AM »
Sent a picture to Moser and they replied "Unfortunately if your product is not signed, we are not able to verify if it is Moser or not. At this case we would kindly recommend you to contact any of renowned antic house".

Chris Parry

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2017, 08:36:40 AM »
well, as Groucho said  ..."I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member" ;)  -  but seriously, sounds like a pleasant neighborly idea for people in that part of the world.

My humorous comments earlier weren't intended to rectify any situation that creates the occasional disadvantage for some folk - they were posted because it seemed to me that the circumstances of this particular post - at that particular juncture - were possibly unique.         I don't recall another occasion when more people had seen the glass in question, than had not, so it struck me as remarkable.
But, it was a one off I'm sure, and not something to be taken seriously or requiring thought as to change.

I admit my share of the whinging - perhaps at newcomers in particular - who post poor pix, and find myself commenting often about busy backgrounds and pleasing shots of everything except the glass, but know we're flogging a dead horse expecting things to change.      Mostly those people to whom this applies don't remain members and the few who do maybe get better at improving their pix  -  perhaps we all start that way and improve with time.
Perhaps there might be more emphasis on pointing out to newbies the importance of a good picture - but then again an accurate description is also very important  -  and most of those folk don't have the skill to provide such a description  -  which is why they're here in the first place.
This is a situation we have to live with, it seems.

Whilst in gripe mode ;D  -  I'd like to see more of the regular members joining in and offering opinions etc., but appreciate not everyone is retired with time on their hands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand