No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina Ochre globe  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
Mdina Ochre globe
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:44:34 PM »
Hi all. Could anyone please advise the approximate year of production for this lovely little ochre globe?

Many thanks :).

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Ochre globe
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:17 PM »
"Plain" ochre is often assumed to be early experimental. Often found on small globes, with elegant slim flanges, (indicating post-Boffo's arrival) but they didn't actually go into being a production range as far as we know. Hence the "assumed early experimental". They're not what I'd call rare, others might.
(To me "rare" means there are one or two of them on the planet.)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 08:12:54 PM »
For the benefit of those (including myself) who know little about glass made in Malta, would somebody please say which company this item was made by.
KevinH

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:25:55 PM »
Apologies Kevin. It's Mdina glass.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 05:11:33 PM »
These were made while Harris was still at Mdina and probably for a year or two afterwards as far as I can tell. They tend to be relatively thinly blown for Mdina and nicely made, with a neck and rim like that maybe 71/72/73 or thereabouts.

John

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 11:05:50 PM »
Many thanks John :). You're right, it's very thinly blown and it surprised me when I first held it.

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: Mdina Ochre globe
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 09:10:30 PM »
I bought this globe vase recently, hoping it to be early Mdina. I am not sure. It is 9.5 cm high x 9 cm diameter and the rim is 3.9 cm in diameter. The base is polished flat and not signed. It is similar in shape to the vase posted earlier in this thread. I note Sue's comment that the plain ochre globe vases are thought to early experimental pieces. Is this one of these?

Anton
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 12:05:54 PM »
It looks fine to me Anton. They do come in various thicknesses and depths of colour.
I had a large thick globe with a button rim that was practically clear yellow.
The neck shape can vary, I've seen others with this sort of stretched up, rather than shaped, neck. The rims can be either buttony or slim.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2018, 08:11:25 PM »
I would not described them as experimental, more standard production but probably less popular than the more commonly seen blue green versions. They are likely to have been made made for several years, some have Mdina signatures that are typical of the mid 70s and beyond.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand