No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern Fish Vases and a Genuine Joseph Said Signature  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
Modern Fish Vases and a Genuine Joseph Said Signature
« on: August 18, 2017, 05:29:53 PM »
Hi all,

As per my previous post regarding my visit to Malta recently here are some images of the vases being made and the Joseph Said signature on the base of mine. There is distinct lettering within the signature, particularly the 'd' on the end of the 'said'

Notice how they still use silver chloride and the way in which they grind and polish has remained unchanged since the opening of the factory!

You may also spot the 'modern coloured' fish vase laying in one of the wooden trays ready to be polished, cut and ground.

Cheers!

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
Re: Modern Fish Vases and a Genuine Joseph Said Signature
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 05:30:49 PM »
Photos of one of the 3 Roman Pattern Fish vases.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 06:39:13 PM »
Thank-you for taking the time and trouble to show all this!
Have you noticed there are different ways of this Roman pattern being executed?
Your Fish have very pale yellow v-shapes, but I have a bowl where the silver has reacted with the clear casing to turn very yellow and has a few lovely big bubbles. :)

The signature looks a bit looser than some marks I've seen on the bottom of things, but I couldn't tell which was Said's from before, from looking at that - but I'm no handwriting afficianado or expert. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2017, 07:19:34 PM »
Not a problem! I feel as though documenting such things will benefit everyone, particularly in the future when people perhaps ask the same types of questions we do about the early days! I just hope posts like this give some clarity in areas!

Yes I have! Said mentioned when he saw how they had turned out that usually the blue would be much lighter than it was and they have never made Roman pattern fish before! It amazed me how little the technique of making the pieces changed since Michael was there, its very 'random' still and whatever comes out each time is always slightly different to any others and still no certainty of how something will turn out! It still pleases me to know that pieces of Mdina still have so many variances! Bright yellow V shapes would have been nice to have but im very pleased with all 3 of them!

I'll make a point of photographing the other two signatures soon, even I myself havent looked at them all while they're next to each other. He did say that his signature has changed over the years, not that thats helpful to us collectors and enthusiasts! But the idea that a signature ending in a down turn is a Dobson and an upturn perhaps pertaining to a 'd' a Said is how i've always decided on whos it is! This signature however is much more obvious I think, the 'd' especially!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 10:34:03 AM »
I'll get a pic of my little bowl shortly, to show the difference. :)
I do have a fish vase that I think it rather later than many, it's completely clear and frosted, which (I think) puts it circa '86, when the acid frosting started. Unmarked.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 04:05:36 PM »
It well known now that Joseph Said did not normally sign anything in the early days, certainly in the 1970s. All pieces were signed by Dobson or Marie from packing.
This signature is helpful :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 08:17:33 PM »
Hi Vitreo94,

I have made your thread about your visit to Malta a "sticky topic" which means it will stay at the top of the Malta forum for easy reference.

I have also created a link to that topic from part of your text in the initial post.

KevinH

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 09:07:54 AM »
Hi,

It would be great if you could show a picture of Joseph making one........ even better if you had a video of one being made ! ( you could upload it to youtube ) I have always wanted to see the process.

Thanks,

Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
I've found my pot, but it's not smiling nicely for the camera.
It's very thick and with the light being above it, there are shadows appear under it, it looks squint, which it isn't, it looks the wrong shape, too tall.
It's a three dimensional piece of art. ;D

It does have a lovely trail of silver iridesence around it, sort of blobby-comet-y, not like MH's way of doing that, more like Said's or Boffo's, but given the thickness and the few manufacturing flaws, I'd think Said.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2017, 02:32:04 PM »
Hi, can you make this clear please as im a little confused. Did Joseph Said actually make these new fish vases or did he just sign them? as the guy in the pics is not JS although this might be another chap who has the job of flattening.
Something you like, mail me! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand