No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Yellow and blue cut glass bowl. Val St Lambert?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Yellow and blue cut glass bowl. Val St Lambert?
« on: August 18, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
A rather lovely cut glass bowl, 21cm diameter. The blue is cut away to leave yellow underneath, it is not uranium glass which was quite a surprise, good for the glass cutter though as who wants to inhale uranium glass dust?

Presumably Val St Lambert is one possibility for maker, any ideas for alternatives?

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Yellow and blue cut glass bowl. Val St Lambert?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 07:57:56 PM »
 :)
It is screaming VSL at me so loudly I can't hear anything else.
I did not, however, associate curly feet with them. I might be about to. :)
It's fabby.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2017, 11:17:16 PM »
Just in case, I think from memory, some Japanese glass makers also use this colour combination.
Nope, it's similar but not as thickly cased.  And looking at the pattern and curly feet,probably unlikely.

That said, I recall seeing this colour combination maybe elsewhere - perhaps in a Russian collection (but may have been VSL glass in the collection)
Have you checked Christine's previous thread where I might have put some links.

Caesar Crystal do a one colour overlay bowl with the curled feet
http://www.caesar-crystal.cz/en/summary/

http://www.caesar-crystal.cz/data/produkty/obrazky/2/8852/original/@MAINIMAGE.jpg
I don't know if that is relevant, i.e. perhaps it might be Czech glass?

This VSL piece looks to be similar colours:
This one has a clear foot
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ef/ac/70/efac70ec48a8ee19f09b229609a9bbc8--engraving-art-murano-glass.jpg

this one similar colours effect:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/be/64/3f/be643f394344ac5c30878b0d46f4792b--crystal-glassware-crystal-vase.jpg

m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 10:56:41 AM »
Definitely fabby Sue. 8)

Thanks m, the colours in the last two links do look like a pretty good match, it is quite a dusky sort of blue. Also had a look through the Caesar Crystal offering, what an extensive range, it felt like it went on for ever. I like some of their modern takes on cut glass.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
Yes I do as well.  Not all of it, but it definitely has it's own contemporary feel and many pieces have that certain something in their design that just works really well on the eye.

I do love Japanese double overlay tumblers though - they are very special.  I'd have a set of those if I could afford it and not know they'd be broken within a year.

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 07:41:54 AM »
A base colour like this, was called absinthe-yellow at VSL, often used in combination with a petroleum-blue, like the tall Vianden vase in M's link, green  or red. I don't think I've seen this combination with cobalt bleu before, and even though one has never seen everything, I find the result a bit dark for VSL.

They did do some scrolled feet but very rarely, so colour, shape and feet could all be a possibility but what I'm not sure about is the pattern. It doesn't remind me of anything I've seen before and it's not in the style of VSL, in my humble opinion. Patterns, especially from the 20ies, were much more symmetric, stylised and neutral, with large facets covering the whole body of the object.

Maybe I'm wrong, i'll  search a bit more but my gut-feeling says it's something else.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 11:06:58 AM »
I suspect your guts are far more accurate than mine, Anne. I've been hoping you would comment. :)
I thought the swags of small cuts, all graduated, looked very VSL, but I'm only learning. I haven't seen or handled much. :-[
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
One can never be sure of course, a lot is not listed, catalogued and documents/drawings lost, and it took me a while to say something because it's a tricky one.

Before  the 20ies, around 1900, they did use Vaseline glass and the above mentioned colour too, but patterns were either much richer and detailed, or with more sweeping facets and cut lines, very much in the art nouveau and transition period style. I can't help feeling, and I'm not criticizing this piece, that it's pattern's a bit simple for it to be VSL of this period and there's a lot of space left untouched.

I'll continue going through my books etc. to see if I can at least find the pattern back or something alike, whether it's on a similar item or not, but so far I haven't spotted anything. I don't know how other houses worked, but at VSL a pattern was registered and can be found back on different  items, which makes it a bit easier to identify or attribute an item, as not everything was signed at the time.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »
Thank you for taking taking a look Anne, very much appreciated.

Another photo showing the blue with a bit more light behind it.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 04:21:05 PM »
I'll continue searching and thx for taking the time to post another image. The blue, visible through the windows is exactly the petrol bleu colour when it's just on clear crystal, it tends to go slightly green on Vaseline.

Sorry if this is seen as self-promotion, but it's the easiest way of showing some examples. On my Pinterest page I have several examples of the periods mentioned earlier on in my board 'Crystal from around 1900', the majority of cut to Vaseline and petroleum-blue are in the boards Cristaux de Fantaisie & 20ies and 30ies-40ies.

To visit you just need to register but it's free.

https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand