No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ID pls: turquoise, clear cased, silver flecks/inclusions  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
ID pls: turquoise, clear cased, silver flecks/inclusions
« on: July 30, 2006, 04:02:19 PM »
Hello everyone.  Here's something I bought today at a boot sale just because it's so pretty.  The inner is a beautiful turquoise colour, it's thickly encased in clear and with lovely sparkly silver flecking to the outside.  I recognise it as being Italian and I'm imagining it dates from the 1950s/60s but I don't have a clue as to the maker.  Size = 4.5in/11cm from corner to corner and 1.5in/4cm high.   Two photos below - any ideas anyone?  TIA.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/silverinc10001.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/silverinc20001.jpg

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:44:07 PM »
Unusual with the 4 folded edges, I would guess at either Fratelli Toso or Barbini, but hopefully someone will be able to pin it down for sure.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 03:08:39 PM »
Thanks Paul - that's given me a starting point to find out more - I'm worse than hopeless when it comes to IDing Italian glass because I don't have that much experience of it (I've loads more Scandi than anything else) but find I'm often attracted to little bits of Italian glass for various reason - this one is very sparkly and it was winking at me in the sunshine :-)  Cheers again, I shall google your info and see what I find.

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 04:20:33 PM »
There is a Barbini example in Pina's "Italian Glass Century 20" at the top of page 154, given as 6.5" long how does that compare size wise?
Paul

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »
Quote from: "chuggy"
There is a Barbini example in Pina's "Italian Glass Century 20" at the top of page 154, given as 6.5" long how does that compare size wise?
Paul

Mine's only 4.5in - would they have made them in varying sizes do you think?  I think I'm going to have to buy that book, I keep buying little bits of Murano these days ...

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:36:30 PM »
Hi

I think the quality and form are Barbini - that layering effect is very indicative - also the thickness of the item.

Such pieces were made three sided and four (round?) - so many effects were used such as pulegoso, gold leaf and avventurina.

I recently sold a red and gold leaf pulegoso square Barbini at 5" so 4.5" is not too small I think.

This is the only Barbini I have in at present - 'Circus Tent' I think it is sometimes called.

Quality wise your piece seems to hold up with such a piece - all just in my personal opinion.

Thanks for showing the piece Pip, it is beautiful.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 01:17:15 AM »
Hi Pip,
I dont think Barbini had much silver in his pieces. At least I dont have any with silver flecks by him, mostly Toso and Avem.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 06:33:28 AM »
It was the silver that made me include Fratelli Toso as an alternative to Barbini, certainly not a common feature in Barbini pieces, but I've scoured the books and can't find a Toso piece with the 4 fold rim at present.
Paul

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 10:36:59 AM »
Just had a look at the photos again, and looks like the outer color is a creamy yellow? If it is a yellow color, then I would say closer to Avem, since I have a few Avem pieces, shell shapes, and bowl shapes, with that same creamy yellow color. I havent seen other maker use that color.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
Thanks Adam, Paul and Javier for your help in IDing this - I really do appreciate it.  It's actually a white layer of glass (not yellow or even cream).  I'd had a look around and found some pieces similar to Adam's lovely bowl that I thought might suggest it was Barbini but I wasn't aware he didn't use silver.  So is the latest thought that it's either Fratelli Toso or AVEM?  I'll have a search about and see what I can find to compare it to on the web - cheers everyone again :-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand