No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 'Ice cut' vase with Harris signature........  (Read 8721 times)

Offline Patrick

• Members
'Ice cut' vase with Harris signature........
« on: September 12, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »
Hi,

I thought I would show a recent purchase I made from a dealer friend.........

He found it in as part of a lot in an auction house, with the signature only being discovered after felt pads on the base were removed.

Regards,

Patrick.

Offline Patrick

• Members
Re: 'Ice cut' vase with Harris signature........
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
A close up of the signature.........

and also the base pads.........

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 11:06:57 PM »
Lovely example of a cut ice, not entirely convinced by that signature though in my opinion.

The 'G' on glass looks like it's been done with a vibro pen and MH signatures at Mdina were done with a diamond point etcher as I'm sure you know. It's also too thick when you compare other MH Mdina signatures, MH Mdina signatures are very thin and well excuted, it looks nievely done.. That and the signature appears to be over the top of the base scratch/ shelf marks which wouldn't be the case were it done at the time of production. Just my opinion though, happy to be proven wrong!

But again, lovely example, great colour!

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »

The 'G' on glass looks like it's been done with a vibro pen and MH signatures at Mdina were done with a diamond point etcher as I'm sure you know. It's also too thick when you compare other MH Mdina signatures, MH Mdina signatures are very thin and well excuted, it looks nievely done.. That and the signature appears to be over the top of the base scratch/ shelf marks which wouldn't be the case were it done at the time of production. Just my opinion though, happy to be proven wrong!

I think you are wrong........ Look at the signature shown in this Topic. http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,64876.msg363298.html#msg363298

It is very similar to the one on my vase.

Regards,

Patrick.

Ps. In my image you are looking at an enlargement......... look at the scale on the main image of the vase, it gives a clearer sense of scale.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:37:15 AM »
I have this image that I use as a definitive Harris signature.

I downloaded it from a topic on the GMB whick I can't seem to find. I have obviously used images that are not mine but I hope this can be forgiven in the interest of research.
 Again this is very similar to the signature being discussed, some ...dots................. can clearly be seen in the scribeing.

I also have a Chalice with a signature shown below. ( bought on Ebay from a house clearance dealer, so probably genuine :) )

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 10:31:06 AM »
The last 2 signatures are absolutely genuine, the chalice signature is remarkably similar to some early IOW MH sigs, I have no doubt about their authenticity. They tick all the boxes.

The other cut-ice signature though wider then I'd expect is again I believe genuine because all the charactistics of the letters, the form and precision of it. It's competently done and very much MH style.

What makes me doubt the first signature is the Michael Harris part mostly, it's not precise and the form of some of the letters, particularly the 'M' on Harris is wrong. He would have scribed his name many times and it just seems unlikely to me that he would form his 'm' and other charactistic letters like the 'H' and following 'M' on Malta in such a hesitant way. The more I look at it the more flaws I see compared to a genuine signature like the others you've shown.

Whilst I don't think it's a recent attempt at his signature I do think it's an older attempt that has just resurfaced. That's my view anyway, but it's a lovely piece regardless and if you're happy with it then that's good enough!

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 11:53:28 AM »
Luckily I can see more that is right and put some of the irregular letters down to the fact that holding the vase was not easy, maybe having to be done seated with it between his legs.

I will soon be showing it to a long time collector that has a good few signed Harris pieces.

Cheers,

Patrick.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:32 PM »
The glass itself looks absolutely right for Michael Harris' work, no matter who scratched some marks on the bottom.  ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 10:25:37 AM »
For me there are no issues with the signature in question, every single genuine signature is different and will show some variation to a greater or lesser degree.

Attached are a couple more examples of MH's script, looks like his engraver had a nice fresh point in use on that day...

John

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Kent
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 11:58:58 AM »
Sadly I'm still not convinced. Obviously there are variations in signatures and that's apparent when you compare the ones posted here. But however each of those genuine signatures like the two posted before this post have all got the form, style and precision that is present in every single MH signature, each letter is formed properly and in the very recongnisable style that we all know.

The signature in question, particularly the Michael Harris part does not and to me at least you can clearly see the odd signature out and there is, in my opinion,  a reason for that.

However the glass itself is beautiful and is just right for the MH period.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand