No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LCT Tel-El-Amarna Egg Shaped Vase with Stand  (Read 3392 times)

Offline Danno561

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
LCT Tel-El-Amarna Egg Shaped Vase with Stand
« on: September 14, 2017, 08:59:44 PM »
I picked up this vase.  No signature but this seems to be true of the one that James Julia offered at their spring 2015 auction.  Has anyone seen a signed one?

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: LCT Tel-El-Amarna Egg Shaped Vase with Stand
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
General info:

Examples of signed "Tel-El-Armarna" items can be viewed at: Sotheby's New York 2104 sale, lots 1 - 7 (use "navigation arrows to scroll through from No. 1 ). All are signed ("engraved").

Note that "Tel-El-Armarna" referes only to the banded decoration around the neck or base of various "Favrile" items.

Also note the comments in the Catalogue Note for Lot 1, where the term "Tel-El-Armarna" is discussed as being a currently accepted alternative for "Egyptian Collar" but which should perhaps be known as "Byzantine". The reason given is that "Tel-El-Armarna" was apparently intended for a shade of blue, rather than a form of decoration.

Perhaps only Vases with "Tel-El-Armarna" decoration were signed and the Egg-shaped items were not?

Edited to correct my misspelling of "Armarna".
KevinH

Offline Danno561

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • US
Re: LCT Tel-El-Amarna Egg Shaped Vase with Stand
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 05:19:06 PM »
Thanks for the information, Kevin.  I was unaware of most of it.  That was quite a price tag for the sothebys vase! Not sure about the egg shape vs vases theory but it certainly warrants consideration.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand