No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with this Lamp please  (Read 763 times)

Offline marcus

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Art Deco Glass
    • England
Help with this Lamp please
« on: September 19, 2017, 03:22:24 PM »
Greetings to all... I have been an avid collector of Art Deco glass for many years, however I have several lamps from the period of which I cannot identify the maker of. The first for your perusal is the following example (please see attached pics) which to me, "appears" to be by Bagley, but is not shown or mentioned in any of the catalogues that I have at my disposal. The overall height is 9.5 inches and the widest diameter is 7 inches. I'd really appreciate your help with this please. Thanks in advance.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help with this Lamp please
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 06:02:55 PM »
Hi marcus,

I have added the other two images to your initial post and removed the two extra posts.

What problem were you having when you said, "Sorry guys & gals. I cannot seem to load more than one pic at a time???" Was it just that you had not seen the "(more attachments)" link below the first "Choose file" entry? [see pic below)
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline marcus

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • England
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:15 PM »
Hi Kev... Thanks, for sorting things out for me. I suppose it's gonna take me a short while to get to grips with the ways of things on here. I'll be adding another Art Deco lamp shortly for possible identification and so I'll see how that goes. I'm hoping that somebody has few ideas about the factory who made THIS particular lamp too.

Offline marcus

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 03:52:17 PM »
Has anybody any thoughts about this lamp yet please? I would at least like to rule out Bagley, if it is not by them. Some have told me elsewhere, that it's a rare "Acorn" lamp by them, but it is not, however the similarities to it being a Bagley piece, are strongly evident, but??? I only have Angela's fabulous book (first issue) at my disposal and so perhaps she can either rule it in or out perhaps. The only pointers that I have are that the electrical fittings are period & English and I purchased it from England, but that's meaningless in this day & age.   

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 06:46:24 PM »
It might be Bagley. It is my personal opinion that Bagley did quite a lot of commission work but as far as I know Angela hasn't had access to that sort of information, if it is available (usually found in work books rather than catalogues). The only commission item I know of is the Electrolux fridge boxes.

I believe this may be Bagley http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=608 The colour is spot on and a shade peculiar to Bagley in my experience and it has Bagley feet  http://lustrousstone.co.uk/cpg/displayimage.php?pid=609

Offline marcus

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • England
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:42:56 PM »
Thank You Lustrousstone, and that certainly is a peculiar piece which also shows certain Bagley-like characteristics. I suppose that one way forward in identifying certain items, is to 'rule-out' the factories that wouldn't have produced these types of items, particularly if they are 'thought' to be British? I cannot imagine another English factory (of the period) for example, producing your piece or mine for that matter. I do think that Sowerby purchased, exchanged and also altered quite a few moulds from others, but again, the glass itself would perhaps rule them out too?  I expect that should I decide to sell the lamp, then I will simply add some pointers and leave a would-be purchaser to decide for themselves ???

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 06:11:15 AM »
Lamps and lampshades are notoriously difficult to identify

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia