No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Possible art deco bowl,help needed - could it be WMF?  (Read 2808 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Possible art deco bowl,help needed - could it be WMF?
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »
bizarrely as soon as I saw it I thought it was related somehow to a bowl I own which is thick heavy amber glass with green spaced out streaks in it.  My bowl is similar in shape but with a different foot and has a short 'stem'.  However, looking at the 'hurricane lamp' type shape vase that Rocco linked to, the short stem on my bowl also seems to be the same or very similar (see this thread for the vase Rocco linked to with similar decor to the OP's bowl - my bowl only has one ridge on the stem but that would fit with the size of the bowl v the height of the vase Rocco linked to from a design viewpoint.  Otherwise I think the foot is also very similar between my bowl and the linked vase:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41170.msg227745.html#msg227745

I'm just waiting to see if my camera battery will charge and work and I'll post a pic of my bowl.

I am not sure they are linked to the lampbases which had mica in them and a net type decor effect iirc.  But I do remember finding a 'cellophane glass' vase on an American site with a mark on it.  I posted it here on the board https://www.rubylane.com/item/518922-419jax78-285a/Antique-Signed-Czech-Fine-Glass-Vase
Just posting it in case it helps id a maker eventually.
This is the link to that thread in case it helps one day
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,603.msg333769.html#msg333769

My bowl also has a neatly polished small pontil mark.  It seems small to me given the size of the foot and the thickness and heft of the glass somehow.  The foot on my bowl is also strangely profiled it is flattened somehow.  Difficult to explain.

The pattern on the OP's bowl does remind me of a WMF bowl I have though but it has more similarities with my amber bowl overall and I don't get an instinct that my amber bowl and WMF bowl are the same maker.  For some reason the amber bowl feels more'dense' and is very heavy for size - not what I expected when I picked it up. 

Edited - apologies for the bad pics but my camera battery isn't charging properly:
side on pic and also one showing the stem which is the same ?? as the one Rocco linked to

So that's a long-winded way of me saying that if your bowl is the same decor as the vase Rocco linked to, and my bowl also has a link to it, then perhaps they all three are by the same maker.
There is another piece somewhere on the board with green streaks in a different shape here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,46203.msg259211.html#msg259211
and here
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,45632.msg255266.html#msg255266

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2017, 08:13:50 PM »
Thank you all for your response to my posting.
Even after all the good information supplied it seems hard to tie it down to a country let alone a manufacturer.
The bun foot must have been very popular style,30s,40s,50s.
M, does the foot of any of your glass of this type show a uv response?.
Not sure if it shows well in the picture but the bun foot is a single colour and responds green to a uv light.
Will be taken of the shelf soon, pot plants have come back into the house after a summer in the garden !!!
Thanks again and will keep on looking.
Tim

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2017, 11:23:27 PM »
Not much to update on this request.
I have been looking at WMF on ebay.de and have seen a few very close matches to my bowl.
Whilst looking at the images and reading a few of the descriptions, it seems there was a type of production called unika (one off items).
I am not suggesting that my bowl is part of this range ,but does anybody know if this range was signed or not?.
Thanks to Michael (rocco) for looking in the wmf ikora book for me , but the picture on the front cover of the wmf glass pottery metal 1925 to 1950 seems to have some
similarities to my bowl. I do not have this book so I can not check out who is credited as the designer.
I know this is all conjecture but maybe someone will put a positive id to this bowl.
Tim

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2017, 09:57:20 PM »
Hi, I do not have much to add, except that the vase with a mark mentioned by flying free from Ruby Lane definitely reads

made in
Czecho
Slovakia

Like other "cellophane" type pieces, these are generally regarded as Czech, albeit without a lot of documentary evidence. I happen to agree and several factories in the area of Bohemia that are not well documented produced good quality glass such as this. Agreeing with a comment by rocco earlier, I suggest CMS Krasno, a Moravian Czech factory, which was not a small factory, which made ranges involving techniques that could have easily produced most of these items, including the item in this thread, also finishing pieces with a similar base finish technique. I know CMS Reich produced some items that were only labelled with a paper and foil label, not acid marked, which many CMS Reich pieces also were known to have. The location of the pattern books of CMS Reich Krasno are not known to me. So, this piece is still slightly mysterious!

It would be interesting to know, re. WMF, if their unika pieces were unsigned.

Robert (bOBA)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2019, 08:24:25 PM »
Not absolutely dead certain these are related but 99% sure they are.

On this site this ball vase with flared out rim is identified as Carl Wünsch, designer Karl John:

Vaza Rhodos   http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/vaza-rhodos-1741/detail/

There is another similar version with blue swirls in the brown swirls in Jug form here:

Same maker - http://www.bohemianglass.org/katalog/dzban-chobotnice-4258/detail/

I suspect the OP's vase is a version on this theme?

m

Offline essi

• Members
    • england
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2019, 08:27:38 PM »
Thank you M for taking the time to run through the Bohemian glass website for me.
The items you highlight look very similar and I would agree with you 99%.
This website I am sure, will answer quite a few postings on the G M B.
Thanks again,
Tim

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 11:07:43 PM »
I think this is one and the same piece - The Dr. Fischer auction doesn't show a design but the description looks similar:
Within their description it is described as Oktopus decor Kugelvase:
https://www.auctions-fischer.de/kataloge/online-kataloge/220-i-europaeisches-glas-studioglas.html?L=&kategorie=101&artikel=37887&L=&cHash=1a2e558d12

Auction 220-1 Europäisches Glas & Studioglas
'750 - KUGELVASE
Unterhalb der Mündung eingeschnürt. Dekorausführung in der Art der Jonolyth-Gläser: zwischen den Schichten in Braun bis Blaugrün ausgeführter Unterwasserdekor mit Oktopus, Fond Gelbgrün gefleckt. Bodenkugel. H. 16 cm Siehe Fußnote zu Nr. 746.

Ernst Hantich & Co, Haida, nach 1931'

Picture on Artnet which I think is the same piece(?):
http://www.artnet.com/artists/hantich-co/kugelvase-LRX-VJe8yemPpavkbcmiKg2

No reference source.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand