No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some Henry Greener Registrations prior to January 1884.  (Read 3843 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Some Henry Greener Registrations prior to January 1884.
« on: October 04, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
these items were requested to form part of the Board's archive of diamond period Registrations for this Sunderland manufacturer  -  half a dozen in total - which seem to have been overlooked when collecting pix from The National Archives at Kew.
Nos. 302199  -  325547  -  359361  -  366032  -  374475  and  381481.                  Apologies in advance as some images are none too sharp.
I won't go into a lot of waffle about sizes etc. etc., as these details can be found elsewhere, along with histories of individual designs.

1/.    302199  -  raised pattern on a pierced plate with accompanying text which indicates this was planned as a design for a desert service.
        I thought we'd had this before but presumably not.

2/.    325547  -  two images here, with one hopefully showing a bit more close up.          This identical open sugar bowl was used on two occasions  -  once as shown here with Disraeli's bust in 1878, and couple of years later for Gladstone's second period of administration in 1880.    The example here is in clear glass, but it was produced also apparently in opal.

3/.    359361  -  shown in the Kew Register as a 'boating cup' - as least that's what I think it says - and makes sense in view of the explanation given by Slack which is far too long winded to relate here, and again clear glass here, but opal in Slack's book.

4/.    366032  -  could be next year's entry for the Turner Prize, but a hundred years too early I think.              The text wording reads  'Design for ornamenting glass sugar basins, dishes and all other descriptions of table glass'.                 Have we ever had an example on the Board - I don't remember, perhaps Fred will know.

one or two more to come, and again apologies for the poor images  -  sepia photos are not the best subjects to re-photograph.            One picture will appear on the next post - five in total.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Some Henry Greener Registrations prior to January 1884.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 06:39:02 PM »
fifth picture.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 01:20:07 PM »
and the final two Registrations from this group.

5/.   374475  -  there's nothing written in the Register to indicate the purpose of this design, and again no idea if we've had any Greener glass showing this pattern.

6/.   381481  -  perhaps someone will know the purpose of this  -  again it's likely to be protecting simply a form of decoration which might have been intended for a variety of objects - rather boring and unrelated to the usual shapes and colours we're accustomed to seeing here.     The Register omits any reference to purpose or use.

Hope these help Fred, and fill a few gaps in our Henry Greener list of Registrations. :)

Raymond Slack's book includes detailed information for one or two of these designs  -  obviously, without the book much of this is rather meaningless, and it's a volume much to be recommended if you collect C19 pressed glass.          Presumably those folk who are interested will already have the volume, but lest Anne (Mod.) accuses me of not including details of my references, here are they are:- 

'ENGLISH Pressed Glass 1830 - 1900'  -  Raymond Slack  -  1987 (Barrie & Jenkins)  ...........   probably not cheap, but worth the money.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 09:39:34 PM »
Thank you very much for showing these, Paul.

I will be away for a few days, but will try and add them to the GMB RD database ASAP.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:43:43 PM »
3 examples of pieces from Henry Greener 302199, plus the RD 325547 Beaconsfield sugar.

Fred

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 06:52:26 PM »
Henry Greener RD 359361, E.  Hanlan 'oarsman'  tankard.

3 pieces from Henry Greener RD 366062.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:57:41 PM »
No examples from Henry Greener  RD 374475 to show.

3 examples from Henry Greener RD 381481.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:33:49 PM »
very time consuming effort to show these Fred  -  well done, and thanks very much. :)           If you do find you need more Greener Rd. Nos., let me know.
You can see that my memory is going - posts of my own I've obviously forgotten :-[

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
Greener rd 302199, 1876.
Some of my folks favourite Greener pieces. I’ve been trying to identify several unmarked slag pieces recently. The mug and jug are unmarked, we have quite a few of the Flint plates some marked others not. My euthoria moment was linking the slag plate pattern with the unmarked slag mug and jug as the slag plate  is marked with a faint Lozenge. Because they weren’t all grouped together at my folks home you wouldn’t of thought they were All associated. No wonder it’s so difficult to identify some of these pieces.  The pattern on the back of the slag platet is excellent you may not see all the detail in these pictures. Cheers Mike

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
Apologies l made an error here the jug and mug I now believe are Davidson pattern 133. Oops should have gone to spec savers.
Regards Mike

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand