No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandinavian Glass Identification. ID = Lasisepät Mäntsälä  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Tobermory

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Great Britain
Scandinavian Glass Identification. ID = Lasisepät Mäntsälä
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
Hi,

This is my first post and I hope someone can help me. I was lucky enough to find a box at a bootsale that had a jug, six glasses and two what I think are tealight holders. I have looked on the web and they appear to be Lasisepat Mansala but I am not 100% sure especially as the water jug has a Food safety symbol on it.
Can anyone please tell me what I have found  :)
Thanks in advance

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Scandinavian Glass Identification
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2017, 05:42:23 PM »
Hello and welcome to the board. I would agree that the flower shaped bowl is Lasisepat, made in Finland. I have a reference photo of a labelled one. 

Re the food safety mark on the jug... I've not seen one of these on a decorative jug from a set before, but the britglass.co.uk website states that "Food contact materials and articles which are not already in contact with food when sold should be accompanied by the words “for food contact” or a specific indication as to their use. An appropriate symbol may be used; Annex II to the regulations shows the “wineglass & fork” symbol. If necessary, instructions for the safe and appropriate use of the material and article must also be given, and the name or trade name and address or registered office of the manufacturer must be included (Article 15)."

Just as an aside to the above, for future reference would you please post one item per post - e.g. jug and tumblers in one and the flower bowl in another, so that we can consider each separately without getting confused, and then once ID'd we can move each to the relevant country forum. Thanks!   A moderator will be able to separate this out for you on this occasion.

Edited to remove erroneous info.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »
Yep, I would say Lasisepat Mantsala, Finland Designed by Pertti Kallioinen. Dating to the 1970's
The 'Cow Parsley' design on the jug is exactly the same as on the candle holders.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 06:06:37 PM »
Tobermory's candle bowls appear to be different to the jug/tumbler design though, they are reeded but without the cow parsley design. 

This is the cow parsley one: https://i.pinimg.com/236x/e0/98/83/e09883a71c2c451187e8fac456d3392f--finland-candle-holders.jpg

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »

Sorry, Anne, I meant the jug and glasses.
The tealight holder is Lasisepat too, there is a labelled example on the net (which I can't for the life of me find atm), but I don't know a pattern name for it.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 06:34:35 PM »
That's the one, thanks Della. I have a ref image (belonging to a previous ebay sale so I can't post it here) with a label but couldn't find an online image of this pattern to add here.  I can't find a pattern name for it either - I ran the text from your link through Google Translate in the hope it might tell me, but I'm not at all sure it helps any!  ;D

Glass mugs Mäntsälä: Steel leaf whistle
The bright glass shimmer cup made by glass mate Mäntsälä has been designed by Pertti Kallioinen. The spark plug is in good condition and has a "Glassheads Mäntsälä" sticker.

Offline Tobermory

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Great Britain
Re: Scandinavian Glass Identification COMPLETE
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2017, 07:26:23 PM »
Wow,

Thank you everyone, I am really pleased that they are all as interesting as I had hoped  :)
In future I will post one item per post, sorry about that, got carried away  :-\
I never realised I had "spark Plug" glass  ;D
Got to love Google Translate sometimes.
Big Thanks again to all concerned, what a great welcome to the site.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »
Yippee  :) :) :) don't need to split to separate threads ... all items identified as Lasisepät Mäntsälä.

I will add that as an ID to the title and move the whole thing to the Scandi forum.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand