No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: E.Varnish mercury glass with embossed seal, circa 1849  (Read 83279 times)

Offline drewfind

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • VARIED
    • U.K
E.Varnish mercury glass with embossed seal, circa 1849
« on: October 11, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »
Hi
I have a plain red/crimson goblet from the e.varnish mercury glass range. It is, as far as I can find, quite rare, the only other monochrome piece is a blue one, also classed as rare.

I have taken it to one of our larger antique shops, and the chap I spoke to said he felt priveliged just looking at it, and asked me for a few more days to research it, he has yet to contact a few more of his colleagues, and asked me too also carry on researching.

Can anyone help please? I will try and add a couple of pics, but last time i tried it told me my file was too big.

I look forward to hearing from you all, many thanks
Andrew

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: E.Varnish mercury glass with lozenge, circa 1849
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
Hi drewfind, welcome to the GMB.

If you have not already found our Help thread for resizing pics, please take a look:
TECHIE TIPS: Resizing images to fit the board

If you still have problems, please add a post saying what the difficulty is. Or send me your images in an email via the envelope icon below my username on the left and I will sort out the resizing for you.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 10:49:26 PM »
hello Andrew - welcome to the GMB :)                  If you have temporary problems uploading pix, we might still be able to offer some help in the form of information related to the details on your lozenge.
Assuming you can read the details, you might tell us the figures/letters, starting at the top.
1849 ish is early, and falls into the first of two dated periods for lozenges  -  the first covers 1842 - 1867, and the second is 1868 - 1883.   
Circled at the top of the diamond, and placed outside you should find a Roman III (glass is classified as Class 3).          Within the diamond, at the top there should be upper case letter for the year  -  to the right will be a number indicating the day of the month  -  at the bottom will be the parcel No.  -  finally, to the left will be upper case letter indicating the month.

of course you may already know all of this.           Hope you can decipher the details.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:37 AM »
thanks for the link.               I'm sensing that there might just possibly be a mis-use of the word lozenge here  -  could be wrong, and no doubt someone will confirm whether it's recorded or not that mercury glass is known to have included a Registration lozenge.
Whilst most pieces with a diamond lozenge are of the pressed type, cut glass and other forms have also been recorded on occasions, but I'm wondering if this particular reference to mercury glass should read 'seal/plug', rather than lozenge.

I don't seen any mention of a lozenge in the link, neither do I see any reference to Powell in the years 1849 - 51 in the list of B. of T. Registrations.
I notice that C.H. says  .............  "Some authorities give James Powell and Sons as the probable makers, but there is no conclusive proof."  -  although Andrew Lineham seems confident enough to say "Some of the finer glasswares were made at James Powell's Whitefriars glassworks."

At the time perhaps it was considered sufficient that a patent was adequate to protect this invention, rather than a Registration.

Over to you Andrew :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
yes, suspect 'lozenge' may mean the impressed mark on the lead (?) plug in the base rather than a date lozenge Paul.

Offline drewfind

• Members
    • VARIED
    • U.K
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 12:24:39 PM »
I think lozenge is the wrong term after all, seal/plug is the term used in the glass museum. The seal is round, London across the top, E.Varnish along the bottom and patent across the centre.

There may be more marks but I can't look at them until I collect the piece back from the antique house where it is being researched.

I hope this is of more help?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 12:32:55 PM »
thanks for the clarification Andrew :)  -  so ignore all my waffle in reply No. 2.            Probably best to avoid using the word lozenge, unless we are referring specifically to the diamond shaped Board of Trade Registration lozenge, thingy.           Anyway, great piece to have found, congrats.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 12:44:56 PM »
or any other diamond or rhomboid shape...

Offline drewfind

• Members
    • VARIED
    • U.K
E.Varnish pic
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
My wife has also found some initials etched into the base

I will try and load the pics again as my wife has resized them on her phone

The initials are E&E , and they are above the E.Varnish seal, to the right, is this also to be expected?

[Mod: Image rotated for easier viewing]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand