No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: E.Varnish mercury glass with embossed seal, circa 1849  (Read 1469 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: E.Varnish mercury glass with embossed seal, circa 1849
« Reply #250 on: November 14, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »
Topic:  where was the glass blown?  the designs cut onto the glass

I noticed a few interesting cut design devices on some of the pieces - I will look some more links out but this is one example:

Two blue goblets sold via Woolley and Wallis - they have a sort of blob circle at the end of the curve cut. (scroll down once the page comes up on the link and then click on the vases for them to be in focus).
 I've seen this device on other pieces:
https://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/Lot/?sale=PG081013&lot=47&id=253607

but interestingly I came across this piece as well, similar blob cutting, but in this case the device was a series of diamond shaped curved cuts with the blob at the point of each of the diamond points.
White overlay on red glass, attributed as Bohemian with a range of makers given: 
https://i.pinimg.com/236x/84/62/83/84628350c860dcb0205ddbcfb8529f7b.jpg

It is difficult to tell because the image is slightly blurred, but I think it is possible the curious gilding on the front of this vase would make me think it is Bohemian.  I have seen that type of gilding done on Harrach and Buquoy glass.  It is done in a particular way and I think it is a Bohemian thing.

Perhaps if they were cutting the ornamental vases/goblets/weights etc in the workshop, Mellish was copying the patterns from Bohemian pieces?

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #251 on: November 14, 2017, 09:42:06 PM »
Topic:  Where was the glass blown:  In 1845 Neuwelt (Harrach ) was producing flint glass and appears to be the only manufactory in Bohemia doing so at that time according to this:

page 267 (see right hand column, bottom chapter XV) of the Practical Mechanic and Engineer's mag vol 4 1845  (article on Glass in Bohemia by M. L. P. Debette - this article appears to have been laid out in three parts across this volume,so for the full article, please see from page 218-221, then 237-240 and 261-267. According to page 218 header it is an article translated in 1843)
[Mod: edited to correct page numbers for the three parts of the article]

click here

By flint glass did this mean lead glass?

And if it was lead glass would that feel heavier than say, more recent (1860 onwards) Bohemian silvered glass?

m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #252 on: Yesterday at 12:47:54 AM »
Quick note to say ... I have added a comment to Reply 188 about the vermicular pattern mentioned in that post.
KevinH

Look for glass on
 ebay.co.uk 
Look for glass on
 eBay.com (US)

Link to Glass Encyclopedia
Link to Glass Museum

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand