No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a real Michael Harris signature?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline lwerk

• Members
    • The Netherlands
Is this a real Michael Harris signature?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Hello,can anybody  tell me if this is a real signature?
Thank you ,kind regards Lisa

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this a real Michael Harris signature?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 08:46:38 AM »
Hi Lisa  -  sorry you are without a reply yet on this one.             I had expected Sue (chopin-liszt) to respond, and hopefully the lady will.

I've compared your sig. with other, apparently authenticated examples, on line, and there are strong similarities in the form and style of the writing, plus these goblet/wine glasses were a known shape made at Mdina.            Of course, these thoughts of mine don't constitute a positive authentication for your signature, but would say yours isn't a blinding example of 'it's definitely not Harris' sig.'.

The signature of one individual can vary over time for a variety of reasons, but certain characteristics remain, and I've heard it said before too that fake signatures often lack a fluid style  -  the forger hesitates and goes slow in attempt to copy without error.          The sig. on yours appears to flow and looks natural.

Have you also compared your example with other sigs. on line?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:51:41 AM »
It looks good to me too. Where did you find it?

Offline lwerk

• Members
    • The Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:33 AM »
I found this glas on a market in Amsterdam,it looked good to me also,but when I wanted to put it on Catawiki,the auctioneer asked me if I was sure it was a real signature,because they are often fake !

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 10:56:47 AM »
I'm pretty sure if you found it in the "wild", it is OK. I assume you didn't pay much for it. I think "often fake" is an exaggeration

Offline lwerk

• Members
    • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 11:38:59 AM »
No it didn`t pay much ,I knew it was Mdina and I didn`t notice the signature untill I was home!
The seller knew it was Mdina too!

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 12:17:37 PM »
The glass itself looks like Michael Harris' work, which is what matters to me - it's all delicate and wispy, the trails of silver are lovely.
The marks on the bottom also look absolutely fine to me.

I've seen one fake. It was screamingly obvious. It wasn't on a bit of Mdina and Michael was spelled Micheal.
I don't know where these rumours are coming from either. As Lustrousstone said, if you find it in the wild and don't pay too much, and add my bit of the glass itself looks like his work it's unlikely to be a fake scribble on the bottom.

I do not want folk to think i can tell "real" marks from whatever these rumoured fake marks may be and I really don't want to get involved in rows over them. It's the seedier and criminal side of things and is all to do with money, not art.

I can't do it anyway. I'm no good at peering at, comparing and contrasting wiggles on scribbles. I'm also not sure it's even meaningful to do so.
I'm better at looking at the glass and thinking; "That's probably Michael Harris' work." if it is.

Apologies for having a little rant in your thread Lisa.  :)
I really think your mark is fine, but I do need to dispel the notion that I am interested in or knowledgable about them and /or these rumoured fakes.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline lwerk

• Members
    • The Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »
Thank you so much for your quick responses

Offline WhatHo!

• Members
  • Wolfie
    • Oxford UK
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 10:09:01 PM »
I think it is correct :)
Something you like, mail me! :)

Offline Vitreo94

• Members
    • Mdina and Isle of Wight Glass
    • Kent
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2017, 05:38:18 PM »
I also agree and believe this to be genuine :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand