No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue & yellow star shaped bowl on ebay  (Read 3952 times)

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
Blue & yellow star shaped bowl on ebay
« on: August 01, 2006, 08:14:52 AM »
What do people think of this? At present it is $20.45 - all of its money?

I like the colour and it's not another of those baroque over curled bowls that seem to be an ebay staple.

ta muchly

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 08:51:15 AM »
In the past there has been some debate on the board as to whether these style of bowls and dishes really are from Murano, or made by Chalet glass in Canada.  I don't think we have yet established a way of telling for definite which they are. (Unless someone around here knows better?)  

Anyway, I really like this one.  The colours are lovely and the shape really appeals to me, too.  

I would say that how much it is 'worth' to you depends on how much you like it, and whether you were buying it to keep or to sell on at a profit.
Leni

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:23:17 AM »
*Everything* is Murano. Or retro or funky or vintage.

I have now seen so many experienced sellers paying 'have and to hold' prices and then trying to make a profit on ebay - and losing 80% of what they paid for it. For the most part the loss occurs because they fail to research the piece & list it badly - and paid too much given what similar stuff sold for on ebay.

When something isn't signed, and can't be identified, there's nothing to research .... you buy to keep!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 10:21:39 AM »
Another suggestion is: http://rikaro.com.au/Hot%20shaped%20%20vases%20&%20bowls/files/index.htm

I think that would be my best guess.  A pretty bowl though all the same, although I don't think I'd pay anymore than it is already.   8)
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 10:29:56 AM »
:shock:  I vote for Belgium.    :shock:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 10:41:01 AM »
The colours of the Murano/Chalet? pieces never seem very Murano/Italian to me, including this one. They remind me very much of some of the domestic glassware I find at boot sales and junk shops in the UK. I suspect it dates from the 1950s or 1960s. It's quite nicely made and my thoughts on where tend toward Bohemia or possibly Japan. So I suppose the question is where do the roots of Chalet lie?

Edited to add I suppose Belgium is also an option.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 10:48:16 AM »
Quote from: "Deb of Oz"
When something isn't signed, and can't be identified, there's nothing to research .... you buy to keep!

Err, surely you buy to research?

France and Belgium are also candidates for this style.

Offline Deb of Oz

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:33:11 PM »
Err um well I guess that's my professional streak showing. I was (long ago before computers) a librarian. We can't afford to buy 'book and non-book materials' for a library and find it wasn't suitable, so we research the item first. :oops: I am not an impulsive buyer of anything.

However I also worked in the film & tv industry where you learn to think in millions, so real life can be a challenge.

At this point I am trying to develop an 'eye' for glass, a visual vocabulary. It is difficult to judge 'quality' or even colour, from a book or fuzzy pic on ebay. I don't know how much UK & European glass would have come here, and therefore what can be reasonably expected to surface for sale.

I am moving increasingly to buying Australian art glass from the start of the studio movement here, because I can see it in person, it is more likely to have provenance, and may have a cultural relevance lacking in the nice stuff I see online.

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 12:47:09 AM »
Personally this is screaming Poland at me. I've seen several recent baskets and vases like that with poland labels.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand