No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Maker of mysterious moody paperweight ?  (Read 6923 times)

Offline gleaming

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • paperweights
    • USA
Re: Maker of mysterious moody paperweight ?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2017, 12:34:49 AM »
Ron Schuster was extremely kind to respond by e-mail that he was not the creator of this paperweight.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline gleaming

• Members
    • paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 09:54:03 PM »
Per the facebook discussion of Sanders and Wallace work with Sileda: Andrew Sanders was extremely kind to respond by e-mail that he was not the maker of this paperweight.  He stated that he made perfume bottles and vases for Sileda Ltd. but no weights.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline gleaming

• Members
    • paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »
Many thanks to to the sharp eye of Allan Port for his identification of Sileda Ltd. as the correct maker of the silver work on the paperweight.   The very helpful Phil over at the 925-1000.com silver forum received this confirmation from Emma at the Sheffield Assay Office:

"Having had a good look through over 30 files who all used SL in their sponsor mark, I have formed the following conclusions:

I believe I have mis[-attributed] the [mark], I believe it is for Sileda, they had nine individual punches registered with us from 10th December 1980 to 2000. Some are incredibly small but their main mark is a rectangle with the clipped indent top and bottom of the rectangle between the SL.

Scotcade were using a rectangle same size to the above mark but with no indentations.

I do hope that this resolves the enquiries and apologies if I have mis[-attributed] a mark, let hope this rectifies the issue. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Emma"

Since some Sileda Ltd. references note their working with glass items made by Selkirk, I wonder if perhaps Selkirk is the maker of the paperweight.

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 03:56:45 AM »
Good followup on the silver mark.  Thank you.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »

... I wonder if perhaps Selkirk is the maker of the paperweight.
What used to be Selkirk Glass is now: Scottish Borders Art Glass Their contact link generates an email window and I am sure that Peter or Andrew Holmes will be pleased to confirm if they used canes of that type.
KevinH

Offline gleaming

• Members
    • paperweights
    • USA
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 08:31:09 PM »
Thank you, KevinH!  I sent Peter Holmes a few photos of the paperweight and will let everyone know if I hear back.  I certainly appreciate the really helpful and knowledgeable people on this site!

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2021, 02:56:01 AM »
After a long delay, I am able to post my picture of the mark on this mysterious paperweight and also a picture of the paperweight.  The base of the paperweight has a silver plate covering with felt in the center.  The base layer is copper and some of the silver has been worn off.  The maker of the original glass paperweight is unknown.  The focus was on the silver base which has a series of tiny hallmarks.  You can see the location of the mark in the last picture (of the base) at approximately 10 o'clock.  The paperweight is 2 3/4" diameter by 1 15/16" high.  The mark is on a raised area which is 3/16" across.

Since the original posting it has been verified that the mark belongs to a small silver firm Sileda Ltd in Cefn-y-bedd Wales UK.  The confirmation of the mark was provided by the Sheffield Assay Office.  The makers mark is S.L. with a small indent between the two letters.  Sileda registered their punches between 1980 and 2000.  It is known that they added silverwork to the base of paperweights, to the collar of vases, and possibly other glass objects.  Some of the glass objects have been identified as sourced at UK glass studios.  The maker of the glass paperweight does not seem to be identified in my searches.  Mike Hunter in one Facebook post commented that they may be a firm he as seen at trade shows and, if so, they had some glass making ability and perhaps made the paperweight themselves.  I don't claim any knowledge of UK silver marks, but have been able to identify the first mark below the SL as the Sheffield Tudor Rose (the Assay office in Sheffield), The middle mark is a mystery to me because you would expect a quality mark, so this may be a variation of the lion rampant.  The third mark, a script M, establishes the date as 1986.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2021, 08:15:18 AM »
The middle mark of the hallmark looks to be the Brittania mark, if it is, this is a higher grade silver (95.8%) than the standard lion passant marked silver (92.5%). You have the correct date and assay town of Sheffield.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2021, 02:01:00 PM »
Silver plate isn't assayed, so any marks on plate are either maker's marks or designed to be misleading

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »
Late to the party here not seen this thread before, but I was sure this was a Geurnsey Island studio glass weight having had one similar with a label a few years back. A quick google finds this https://picclick.co.uk/2-Guernsey-Island-Studio-Glass-Handmade-Paperweights-114209680679.html don't know that they ever added silver or silver plate bases themselves though.

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand