No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Any ideas ? Strange crackle glass bowl  (Read 1095 times)

Offline yellowhawk666

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • scandinavian
    • United KIngdom
Any ideas ? Strange crackle glass bowl
« on: October 18, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
This is a strange one, it has three applied feet and is some sort of crackle effect, but why does it have a funnel in the centre ? Did it have some sort of silverplate posy vase ? Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Any ideas ? Strange crackle glass bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 02:53:32 PM »
Can we have some more photos against a plain background please, as it's very difficult to see what it is and what's going on

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
it does look to have a central opening which possibly accommodated something  -  but unsure what.            As you've suggested, always possible it's intended function was some form of epergne, and a metal or glass stem vase might have been there  -  the Victorians were very keen on such things and called them flower stands  -  not that I think this is C19.          Assume your 'funnel' has a stopped bottom - i.e. water would be contained and not simply run out of the bottom.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 09:30:23 PM »
that last comment is rubbish  -  the water, if it was used, would have been in the funnel and not in this central opening of the bowl.     Crackle or ice glass was of course big in last quarter of C19, so not impossible this could be that old, although difficult to be certain without some form of proof which doubtless we'll never find.         Please may we also have some comment regarding wear if any, and would remind people that it is customary that some sort of dimensions are provided  -  otherwise we don't know if this is 3 inches or 3 feet tall.    thanks :)

Offline yellowhawk666

• Members
    • scandinavian
    • United KIngdom
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 08:35:52 AM »
Further pictures coming, sorry about forgetting info. Dimensions are 11" across and stands 4" high. There are some signs of wear to the feet 2 of which have flattened surfaces. These have been hand applied. The hole in the centre is all the way through, pictures should show this

Offline yellowhawk666

• Members
    • scandinavian
    • United KIngdom
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 08:44:11 AM »
Here are further pictures

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 10:28:44 AM »
Interesting. The ground surface to the "funnel" indicates a missing glass piece of some sort. The crackle appears to be moulded, not true crackle, from the plain upper few mm and rim. The glass is also very thick.

The feet look 19th C but the moulding makes me think mid-20th C, but that might be wrong.

No ideas on maker or function

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 10:41:40 AM »
just to add a little to Christine's informative words.            Feet such as this were/are usually referred to as 'shell-ribbed' - think of the pattern on a cockle shell  -  it was apparently an invention patented by T/Webb in the 1860s, and appears commonly during the latter decades of the C19, on just about anything where feet were involved.            Unfortunately, it occurs also on pieces from the first third of the C20.
Unfortunately, that doesn't suggest remotely this piece has any connection with T/Webb - but if you type 'shell-ribbed feet' into the boards search facility there is much to read of interest.
My opinion remains that this has some connection to a flower stand/posy/float bowl/epergne, and the fact that the central hole is open doesn't alter the possibility that a central metal insert might have been there originally.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand