No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help for decanter/bottle from Orrefors (?) ID = Orrefors, designer Edward Hald  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Pye

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Sweden
Hi,
Hoping to learn more about this decanter that I believe is from Orrefors. I have lots of old glass from both my grandmothers, never thought much about where they came from but as I am moving yo another continent I have to get rid of a lot of stuff and don't want to throw away something another member of my family or someone else might enjoy. There are also some pieces I love and am really curious about. Most of it is likely just cheap things they just liked. I would really appreciate any help and promise not to drown you with requests.

This first one is a decanter/bottle and is marked Orrefors and has a sticker as well. It is 17 cm high without the cork and apx. 10 cm in diameter.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Help with info about decanter/bottle from Orrefors (?)
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 10:27:51 PM »
Hello Pye, welcome to the Board.

Please let us know what the numbers (etc.?) are which are engraved below "orrefors". Those numbers / code letters will help to identify the details about the item.
KevinH

Offline Pye

• Members
    • Sweden
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »
Hi, pardon the late reply due to travelling. Most of the letters numbers are fairly clear, but not all. First is definitely an 'A' followed by something that looks like a 'R' could also be the number 12 or possibly some version of a D maybe (but not likely), then followed by 3415 or possibly 3475. So my best guess is AR 3415 or A12 3415, with the slight possibility of the '1' being a '7'. Thanks Kevin for pointing that out, I should obviously have included that from the start.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 12:31:45 PM »
Definitely A R 3415.  Normally the first initial is a designer code in this case Olle Alberius.  However, in this case the R has no meaning that my books tell me.   

If for some reason the designer is R it is Carl Fagerlund, then the A refers to Cut Glass which would make sense.  I don't have access to when 3415 design was made.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Pye

• Members
    • Sweden
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Thanks, continued my quest online and have now looked at so much orrefors I am teary-eyed. One would think it shouldn't be so difficult to find a picture. I doubt that it is particularly rare as one of my grandmother was poor and would by stuff in the junk yard, and the other one (the one who this comes from) was a bit tight with cash but liked brands and showing off meaning she would likely get something that was mass-produced but still Orrefors :) I will continue looking. Now I have some more clues at least.

Offline essi

• Members
    • all eras of w/friars and scand
    • england
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 08:18:27 PM »
Hello Pye, your decanter was designed by Edward Hald.
Thanks to Ahremck for picking the number out.
It is shown in the 1954 Orrefors catalogue with a wine glass(3040) cut in the same style.
This information comes from the Swedish glass factories production catalogues book, page 257.
Tim

Offline Pye

• Members
    • Sweden
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 10:32:22 PM »
Thank you so much, that is amazing. And I did go through the catalogs before posting the question here, but after a few hours search it is easy to miss things. For some reason it has been getting increasingly important to have the history behind the objects. This made my day. Should I change the Subject line so it is clear it has been solved? Or would that be the moderators? Once again, thanks. I amso enjoying this forum, what an amazing source of knowledge.
Pye

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand