No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clichy goblets?  (Read 2168 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Clichy goblets?
« on: August 01, 2006, 04:41:46 PM »
I've done a bit of research on these goblets, and I've found reference to very similar ones by Clichy (Rouyer & Maes @ Bilincourt then to Clichy).  

I bought them because there were like nothing I'd seen before and I was intrigued as to how they were made.  They obviously have a lot of age to them, and one bowl is slightly larger than the other.  Seems to be original gilt to rim of bowl and a thin line of gilt to foot.

As you can see from pics, there is a repair to one stem, copper I think, and a crudely made 'bolt' that secures the foot right through into the bowl.  The foot is hollow, which has me stumped as to production and there doesn't appear to be a join (biscuit) between the bowl and the stem.

Any idea of provenance?  A vintage copy of Clichy perhaps?

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2746

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2745

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2744
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Clichy goblets?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 10:02:08 PM »
I'm not holding my breath for help on these goblets.  I can't find anything at all on them apart from a similar, yet different reference to Clichy.   :roll: I guess they're another item to take to Cambridge...or maybe The Glass Circle could help  :idea:
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Clichy goblets?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 06:03:08 AM »
Nice goblets, Max! The treatment of the rim ("Ranft") is that of the Bohemian ranftbecher which became popular in the early 19th century, and the style of goblet is French circa 1870. I would have thought Sèvres or Clichy or Baccarat were the most likely candidates for these, so Clichy is a good guess.  In any case they are quite elaborate and must have been expensive at the time - which means, of course, that they still are.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Clichy goblets?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 09:11:00 AM »
That's interesting Ivo.  So, the 'set-in' rim is 'Ranft' after Ranftbecher.  I love facts like those, thanks!  

Not sure how to find out exactly who made these, but thanks for suggesting the two other French makers.  Even the 'perfect' goblet has some small nibbles underneath the foot, so I don't think they're worth very much - except as a learning tool, which is why I bought them. :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand