No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID glass goblet / wineglass with gold rim and decorated band - ID = Moser  (Read 4130 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Help ID glass goblet / wineglass with gold rim and decorated band
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:37 PM »
thanks - I'd not thought of VSL.                I did wonder if the particular pattern of this frieze might have given a clue as to origin - it's possible someone might recognize it.

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:08:30 PM »
VSL could well be possible, I need to have a look at an image by daylight as the frieze is so small in the catalogue ... I'll do it tomorrow.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is just a gold decor and not oro- or galvanoplastie...perhaps it is the acid etched, and therefor in relief, frieze that gives this idea...or perhaps I'm just talking nonsense...wont be a first.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:57 PM »
Anne I think it is oroplastic - or at least that is what I thought it might be called?

I don't think it's just a gilded decoration difficult to tell though.
But it doesn't really look any different to mine here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,48682.msg274376.html#msg274376

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
Oroplastie, or gavanoplastie for the French public, does not wear like your example,  unless I'm wrong, but you should have a base metal i thought.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:48:37 PM »
ah,no the Bohemian pieces are banded around a glass like that on mine.  Perhaps it is 'commonly' called 'oroplastic' but maybe it is not what VSL would determine as oroplastic?

I would like to understand it better.  Perhaps that is the wrong word to describe those with just the band?
I have seen it called  Fipopp but I thought that was a Moser thing?

m

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 11:59:51 PM »
At VSL it is called galvanoplastie, galvanized crystal. I might have the design on the glass in question, but I'll come back to that tomorrow. At VSL I don't think I've ever seen partly galvanized wine glasses, just bowls and vases and the odd pressed tumbler but galvanized entirely. I've had pieces that showed wear and you could see the different layers of metal underneath the top one. Stemware was just gold decorated, for as far as I know.

Just to illustrate, and it's not that easy to see, but on the vase it's the easiest ... You can see on both items different colours of copper, yellow and red underneath eachother and under that, although that's not visible,  a white-metal or silver base. The wear is  due to use of polish, a pain to remove from the pattern once it's old and dried-up, but i use wooden toothpicks. The wear and loss of patina are a bit less visible by applying clear bees wax and after a couple of days the copper turns several shades darker.

Offline serafin

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 03:14:05 AM »
Thank you all very much for all the information,my grandmother was born in Spain, moved to Mexico City at the age of 35, until she past away at the age of 80,She traveled a lot to Spain, and spent long periods there,I hope this information will help

Offline JohnM

• Members
  • Newcomer
    • 20th C, Deco, Modern
    • UK
John

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 06:54:09 AM »
And I think we have a winner, thank you John.

In the add  it is mentioned 'for admirers of gilded decorations available also in variety with oroplastic design (a wide gilded border with flower design) '

So does that make this design just gold decorated then, as it's clear that this design is not a floral one?

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 07:23:15 AM »
Pattern Copenhagen relatively modern i would have thought.

www.replacements.com/webquote/mogcop.htm
Chris Parry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand