No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help ID glass goblet / wineglass with gold rim and decorated band - ID = Moser  (Read 4129 times)

Offline serafin

• Members
I have a full set of this glassware, with gold ribs,can anyone tell me who made it and what year,Thank you very much.

Offline serafin

• Members
Re: Help ID glass goblet / wineglass with gold rim and decorated band
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »
More pictures

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 10:51:16 PM »
this decorative type of frieze/banding, part in relief, with full gilding, occurs on some of the Walther (German) pressed glass  -  but I can't for the life of me recall the descriptive name  -  but there is one  ..........   I know we've had big chats on this sort of decoration before.
Decoration similar to this is associated, usually, with 1930 - 40 period (and perhaps earlier) -  and is described as belonging to what is often called art deco design.
That's not to say remotely that these glasses have that sort of age, neither that they might originate in Germany  -  but it's possible they have some connection with Germany, Czechoslovakia, Bohemia, and of course, it may well be that this type of decoration is produced currently.

Maximum information can often evoke maximum response :)  some idea of dimensions, a picture of the underside of the foot, and information on their geographical area of purchase is also helpful.
I doubt that anyone would be rash enough to suggest a year of manufacture  -  you might be offered a decade, possibly. ;D

Images of some Walther pieces with this type of banded/gilded relief decoration can be seen on Pamela's 'pressed glass pavillon'.

Of course, I could be completely wrong  -  but please someone remind me of the name given to this type of decoration.

Offline serafin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:56:31 PM »
Thank you Paul,grate information,This set (50 pieces)belonged to my grandmother,almost certain they have more than 40 years at least, but they might be older.

Offline serafin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:15:10 AM »
I think the decoration maybe called.
GOLD RIMMED GLASSWARE

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 08:32:49 AM »
Hi  -  I suppose in a literal sense it may be described as such :)  -   two minutes after getting into bed the word came to me  -  I could be wrong, but this type of frieze decoration - in relief with gilding is usually called 'oroplastic'.                    Have a look on the Board's search facility and see what you think.

Offline serafin

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
Thank you Paul,grate info about oroplastic,hope someone can tell me who made them..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:31:28 PM »
Oroplastic

I have no idea of where, but maybe Belgium?

m

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:19 PM »
I don't think we know the whereabouts of serafin - or do we?              Do you know if your Grandmother travelled on the Continent, and if so have you any idea of approximately when?

m may well be correct with the suggestion of Belgium  -  my own guesswork might have been to think perhaps further south, possibly  -  not because of Pamela's Walther pieces, but I seem to have seen the connection with Harrach and Moser previously  -  although I'm not saying these pieces are from either of those houses.

Sorry to say serafin, but we may hit a dead end with any real progress regarding origin -  attribution is often a case of not being an exact science.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 10:23:40 PM »
It may be found though.  There were lots of different designs of oroplastic.
I said Belgium just to add another place to look.  Val ST Lambert did oroplastic decoration as well.
At least if Serafin looks up Fipopp and oroplastic she may find a match :)

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand