No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted Pink Glass Nude Wearing Bonnet  (Read 839 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Frosted Pink Glass Nude Wearing Bonnet
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:42:59 AM »
Hi All,

Frosted pink glass nude figure wearing bonnet.

Appears to be standing on either rocks or possibly in the sea.

Highly polished smooth flat base.

Height 19.5cm

All thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Frosted Pink Glass Nude Wearing Bonnet
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 02:00:45 PM »
quote  .....................  "All thoughts appreciated"  .................   no, I don't think mine would ;)

I like these pieces - had a feeling they were often part of a centre piece ensemble - bowl and flower frog etc., but regret can't help with this one Greg. - usual question - have you tried Pamela's museum?
Is the lady wearing a bonnet?  -  looks to me as though this might be the last throes of some disrobing processing going on - why are her arms so positioned?
A siren perhaps with her wooly jumper caught in a hair clip ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 02:23:54 PM »
The "lady" looks very, very disturbingly adolescent.

These images, beautiful as they are, make me very, very uncomfortable indeed.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:20:49 PM »
Not quite the responses I were expecting   :)

I have pondered the possibility of it being a centrepiece figure, hard to say if this is Deco period or later.

Whilst the base is fairly rounded its not completely circular, so possibly a free standing centrepiece figure or perhaps one for a bespoke shaped frog, if indeed from a centrepiece.

I have had a look through Pamela's site, although will take another more in depth look.

Definitely a bonnet type hat, her arms look like they are holding it in place. (Perhaps protecting it from the gust of wind that has blown away her clothes)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 11:38:36 PM »
Sorry we've failed you on this one Greg - so far - but fingers crossed.      Deco style is probably a fair bet, but the lack of a frog with holes might suggest it's not from the 1920 - 40 period  -  just guessing really.                 

We're all of us entitled to give an opinion regarding fashion, style and expression of the human form, from whatever period in history - but it true that we'd all be the poorer if we excluded the various images and physical forms that, as individuals, we didn't like.            Personally, I'd close down the Turner prize and make a bonfire of many of the exhibits in the Tate Modern ;D
Where do we draw the line  -  do we no longer visit art galleries, museums, purchase books that show something we think is unacceptable - being tolerant Sue - as you expressed in words to me recently - is a great asset of homo sapiens, and has provided us with a wonderful cultural history. :-*

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 12:58:40 AM »
... and make a bonfire of many of the exhibits in the Tate Modern ;D
Now, that could make a great exhibition piece in the Tate Modern ... not that I am encouraging arson, of course. ;D ;D ;D
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
 ;D  -  only joking of course  -  I've been in there a number of times, but have to admit there have been some exhibits that for an old fogey like me appear questionable as to their artistic merit  ...........    all to do with conceptual art, so I'm told.
Lest I be thought lacking in sensitivity toward Sue, I do understand where the lady is coming from on this particular issue, and none of us is immune from finding something, somewhere in life, that we don't agree with, and I have the greatest respect for Sue despite those things we agree to disagree on. ;)

The 'artistic appearance' portrayed by Greg's piece is a common enough image seen throughout quite a lengthy period in European visual arts - from c. 1880 until maybe the end of the 1930s  -   beginning with art nouveau and through to the end of the original deco era**.        Easy to forget, but we must remind ourselves always that we shouldn't, and mustn't, judge the past on the principles of our own time  -  we'd probably obliterate 90 per cent of our history if we did - and makes you wonder the extent of the criticism of the early C21, in the future.
Anyway, I think this obsession with the female form is all the fault of the French ;) ;)

**  -  and much copied in recent decades, in an attempt to deceive as to actual age, I'm sure.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
Graham Ovenden?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia