No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 2 PW's Perthshire and ??  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
2 PW's Perthshire and ??
« on: August 02, 2006, 02:34:20 AM »
Hi, I'm fairly new to this board and was hoping someone could help me with these paperweights.

The first is a gorgeous faceted weight, with gold aventurine under millefiori canes. Would it be safe to assume murano or did others make weights like this?
Are there any other words used to describe the faceting?

The second is perthshire with a central P cane, But i'm hoping for leads to the name of the weight or any technical words that describe the edge treatment as I've not come across it before.

Pics are clickable thumbs to larger images, thanks in advance for any help :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
2 PW's Perthshire and ??
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 12:11:21 PM »
First one definitely murano. The facetting like this where facetted to a point is I think uniquely murano. Couldnt tell you the maker. Others members have far more Murano knowledge and may indicate a maker.

The little perthshire is moulded rather than cut.  When the weight is finished off to a round shape, but whilst still hot and on the iron, it is pushed into a mould that shapes it to give the fluted edge. Starthearn used to do similar. Havent got my book with me but it is a stardard design - with a PP number in the sixties I think.

Peter McDougal still makes this type of weight
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline THX1138

• Members
identification
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 12:20:20 PM »
The first paperweight IS Murano, as you noted, from the island in the Veneto in Italy (Venice). This paperweight style was popular in the 1970s. It consists of concentric rings of millefiori canes and has bee hive or honeycomb faceting.

The second paperweight IS Perthshire, as you also noted. The edging or rim is a style called fluted. Basically, you would write in your index file for your collection that the weight has a pressed, fluted edge. The millefiori cane work is called concentric. These were made by Perthshire from 1982 to 1997 and were designated by the factory manufacturing number as PP75. This size weight is called a miniature.

Perthshire also made a medium size weight - similar in design - that was designated PP53. A medium fluted weight that had different patterns and designs in the center was called the PP61 and was made between 1983 and 1988.

Offline mjr

• Members
2 PW's Perthshire and ??
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 01:12:43 PM »
glad someone had the book to hand. saves me looking up when I get home
Martin

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
2 PW's Perthshire and ??
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Thankyou all for that wealth of information  :D

Which book do you use for the perthshire ID's My sisters just getting into paperweights and though I can teach her the basics we'll be learning the rest together lol. My two books are older, and very general books so I must have more!! ;)

Offline THX1138

• Members
books
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 05:40:19 PM »
The Complete Guide To Perthshire Paperweights by Colin & Debby Mahoney and Gary & Marge McClanahan. Published in 1997, so it has color photographs of every style of Perthshire paperweight up to that time as well as an intro, charts, design layouts, edition numbers, etc. A flawless book, unlike the first edition of the Caithness guide book, which has missing facts, typos, bad photos, etc.

There is expected to be an updated edition of the Perthshire book in a year or two; to cover the full range of Perthshire up to its closing. The writers of the book have complete Perthshire collections. They are American couples from California.

For a nice range of Murano weights, look at Bob Hall's World Paperweights - Millefiori And Lampwork, published by Schieffer Books. A terrific overview of paperweights from around the world.

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
2 PW's Perthshire and ??
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 07:17:58 PM »
Thankyou so much :) I'll be sure to keep an eye out. I've been buying, selling and collecting glass for years and It appears this years new learning curve will be paperweights :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand