No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Your thoughts on what will appreciate in value?  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Macapuno

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UAE
Your thoughts on what will appreciate in value?
« on: November 19, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Hello good folks on this board, I'm curious to know what styles of paperweight, or makers, you think will appreciate in value in the future? Also, are young people getting into collecting? Or people in different countries? Just interested on your take on the 'scene'!
Thanks.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Your thoughts on what will appreciate in value?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 04:36:50 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
My personal take on the "scene" is that I'm not remotely interested in values or money.

I just like lovely glass and I am interested in the artists who make it and their history, and this is what this forum is mainly about.
We do not really discuss values here, they're far too subjective.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Macapuno

• Members
    • UAE
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:35:45 PM »
Hi there, thanks for your reply. Quite a lot of people have looked at this - does anybody at all discuss values?! :-\

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 04:16:04 PM »
No. Not really.
And if anybody does have ideas, I would imagine they'd keep them to themselves or the whole notion of what might become desirable would fall flat on its face before they could profit from it.

This forum is about glass, its identification and research about it. Not about money.
Sorry. I really don't think you'll get much of a response. Some dealers are interested in this aspect, but they won't give away their secrets.
Something is only ever worth what somebody else is willing to pay for it, in that place, at that time.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »

I think values and 'appreciation' are difficult to deal with.  Like any form of art, scarcity and 'desirability' within the market will affect price, and in the longer term, older pieces - such as current 'antiques' - will be more likely to increase in price than pieces from current makers who keep making more and more examples.  At the moment, many of the higher end pieces are selling for maybe half what they would have fetched 5 to 10 years ago...and some of the less valuable pieces are unsaleable.  But this is a passing phase, and it is a good time to buy wisely. However, there are no quick profits at present ...you need to be prepared to wait.  My view is that the genuine antiques from the mid 19th century can only increase in value in the long term - they are limited in numbers.  Expensive modern artists who are still producing pieces are a much more risky prospect.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline Macapuno

• Members
    • UAE
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:22 AM »
Hi Alan, thanks for your interesting reply. I think I get the picture from what you say. I wonder what the fact that the higher end pieces are selling for less than 5 or 10 years ago suggests? That those particular weights have gone out of fashion? Or that there are fewer buyers? Is the collecting of paperweights something that tends to appeal more to older people - like cruises and classical music? With the internet, paperweights of all types are now much more readily available to purchase than in the past, but perhaps the market has not expanded exponentially? Yes, as you say, one cannot tell how pieces will age. For example, a Josh Simpson weight is an object of desire to me now, but in 10 years it might have lost its appeal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand