No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Irridescent Mdina vase  (Read 3231 times)

Offline Nick77

• Members
Irridescent Mdina vase
« on: November 20, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »
I've had this small (3") irridescent Mdina vase for a while now and so far I have not seen another irridescent piece, are they not that common?

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Irridescent Mdina vase
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 01:23:54 PM »
Most of the pieces from this range are small. I've seen owls, little flat flanged bottles and your shape of small bottle.
It is a delightful range, the small shapes are akin to miniatures, very well made indeed, and it is not that easy to find examples.
They are not illustrated in Mark's book, so probably date to later than the period the book covers.
The script on the base is a loopy one, known as "one of the ones that looks as if it reads molina".
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:25:06 PM »
They are one of the harder patterns to find and one of the more attractive to my mind of the post Harris decors. As Sue says items tend to be quite small, often animals as well as vases, the following globe vase is about 4 inches or so, quite large for this pattern.

I would not usually describe them as iridescent.

John

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:35:26 PM »
Thanks both for the info, the base text is indeed loopy and could be read as Molina as you say, your globe vase is very nice John I'll keep searching for other pieces.

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
Finally found another again just over 2.5" high and not marked on the base but unmistakable.
Did they ever make large pieces in this pattern, and does it have a name?

I seem to be getting rather fond of Mdina.

Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »
I've never seen a large piece. I don't know if it has a name or not.
I don't know if it is illustrated in the new "Legacy" book or not, because the copy I'm supposed to be getting has not been safely delivered to the uk, yet.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
Thanks, they would be even more striking if there was a larger size, is this a new specifically Mdina book you are referring to?

Nick

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2018, 04:51:53 PM »
One has been written and published to celebrate the company being around for 50 years. It's called "Legacy".
It's been written by somebody who is fairly new to the company, their marketting manager, so I imagine the main thrust will be to promote the company and its future.
I haven't seen it yet.  :)

There are some links about it in this thread.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66840.0.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Nick77

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 05:50:43 PM »
Thanks, I'll look out for it.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 12:16:06 PM »
I was looking at my little bits last night, they're both on clear glass while this new one you're showing is amber. I've got a funny feeling that might actually be Mtarfa - an early design and not easy to find. It's one I have a few examples of and do collect.
Could you take another picture of it, using light reflecting off the surface rather than back-lit as this image is? It's very hard to tell what it is and how much blue is really there and whether or not there are blobs/patches of green-y colours there too.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand