No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Registered Design nos W A Bailey  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Registered Design nos W A Bailey
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:12 PM »
Registered Design Number: 728964 (W A Bailey)
Date/Year (if known): 27 Apr 1927
Link to topic on the board about the item (if there is one): 
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Registered Design nos W A Bailey
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 07:28:11 PM »
According to the Blue Book, Bailey appear to crop up not uncommonly in that area of the 1920s, but regret I know nothing about them  -  were they known for making anything in particular Anne??
Has this Rd. popped up in connection with some particular enquiry do you know  -  I wasn't sure what the reference source was  -  have we had a picture of this design and I've missed seeing it ?
I can of course snap this one when next I visit Kew in 2 - 3 weeks time  -  so if anyone has any other Rd. Designs they need, now is the time to add them. :)

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:22:36 PM »
Thanks, Paul, I'm following a hunch. :) 

I know it's a glass RD no, and I suspect it may be a bulbous bottle, but I don't want to connect it with the possible topic until it's been checked out, as you know how quickly false leads can spread around and become cast iron facts. :-\

I know very little about WA Bailey, they were mainly glass packaging makers, so bottles and jars seem to be their thing, although there seems to have been other kitchen food items as well, e.g. jelly moulds, mustard pots etc...

from https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/W._A._Bailey
W. A. Bailey of Greenford
c.1840 Joseph Bailey established himself as a glass and china merchant in Scotland
Bailey's sons succeeded to the business
c.1900 Bailey's grandson, William Asbury Bailey, transferred the business to London
1900 The establishment of W. A. Bailey's glass business started industrial development in the Greenford area
1919 William Asbury Bailey established the Rockware Glass Syndicate Ltd to manufacture glass containers at a factory established for the purpose in Greenford in 1920.
1929 The business was acquired by W. A. Bailey, Sons and Co Ltd, a private company.
1949 Became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Rockware Glass, as the sole selling agent for Rockware products.

There are 10 RD's for William A Bailey between 1903-1907, and a further 113 for W A Bailey between 1908-1938. None between 1938-1944, the latest date we can check easily online or in the Blue Book.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:37:42 AM »
thanks Anne  -  I will provide some pix for your particular request for 728964 in due course  ...................   and in the meantime will quietly hum .........    'Won't you come home Bill Bailey, won't you come home, I've moaned the whole night long etc.   ...............   
altogether now..    Won't .... ;D

this place gets cheesier by the minute  ........... ;)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:48:25 AM »
While you are Baileying about, could you add this one too please Number 781610 http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,54315.0.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 02:40:50 PM »
some information as requested by the girls, for 728964 and 781610  -  both Registered to Bailey  -  I assumed we knew the address for Bailey so viewed only the Representations Book (the pix) and didn't bother with the Register (names and addresses)    ...  hope someone knows their address. :-\
Please also see the next post, with information on another Bailey design, No. 781611, Registered on the same day as 781610.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 03:03:29 PM »
Registrations Nos. 781610 and 781611, in the name of W. A. Bailey, were both Registered on 17th March 1933.        Could be wrong, but imagine we're really only interested in the first of these two numbers as it looks to have more general interest - jelly moulds etc. - but have decided to post the companion No. as people may well look at the pair of Nos. and wonder whether both related to similar items/use.
So, here is Reg. 781611 .................   haven't a clue what it was intended for, and as always with these things no idea as to size, although it reminded me of the shape of Shippham's Fish Paste jars - something we had back in the days when families actually had a sit down tea  -  bread you had to cut, butter in a butter dish, jam in a jam pot and milk in a milk jug - and being gay meant that you were happy.

From the details showing in the extract from Grace's Guide - posted by Anne (Mod.) - W. A. Bailey appear to have been manufacturers of glass items for some period at least, but no idea as to whether they might have made containers for companies such as Shippham's - so that comment is really not a serious one  -  it was just the shape that looked familiar.             It's probable that in the 1930 - 40 period, before the advent of mass production of plastic and tin containers, small glass packaging items like this may well have been produced commonly for a variety of food products.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:08:40 AM »
Paul, thank you those are most interesting. Potted meats were often sold in glass containers (like modern meat pastes) so many of the shorter containers may be for that type of food. The taller  one above 781611 is also interesting. I wish catalogues of some of these suppliers survived somewhere!

My hunch has been thrown out as I was hoping that 728964 would be a bottle rather than a pot. Thank you for checking though, I do appreciate it.   Back to the drawing board for me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand