No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New Mike Hunter 'Twists Glass' paperweight  (Read 3926 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
New Mike Hunter 'Twists Glass' paperweight
« on: September 19, 2005, 09:41:01 AM »
At Max's request, here's a pic of the Mike Hunter paperweight we bought at the Paperweight Collectors Circle meeting in Cambridge on Saturday, where Mike came and talked to us about how he made this weight (specially for the PCC!   :D )  http://tinypic.com/dvg8pz.jpg

Mike showed a series of slides of how he made the weight, especially the clown heads.  As You can see from the picture, the clown head is about finger-nail size.  Unlike traditionally made millefiori canes, which are made by bundling fine glass rods together, Mike made this head with very large pieces of glass, so that when it was finished it was as large as a real human head and weighed an absolute ton!  :shock:

He and his assistant then rolled it on the marver until it was swiss roll size and cut it into chunks, which they then pulled out to 25 foot lengths and sliced up, ending up with murrine faces of the size shown in the weight!  

The 'blue sky' weight was then blown, and the clowns were placed on the surface of a clear glass gather which was 'turned inside out' to case the weight, so that the clowns form 'balloons' floating in the sky!   :shock:  :D

What a stunner!  :shock:

We were really thrilled to meet Mike and to get an opportunity to buy this very special weight!  
Many thanks to the PCC ( http://www.kevh.clara.net/index.htm ) for organising it  :D

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »
Thanks for the photo Leni, and the explanation of how this paperweight was made.   :D

It's so easy just to accept something at face value...but it really comes alive when you appreciate the work that went into it.  Stretching the clown-face glass into 25 foot lengths, for goodness sake!!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  Nevermind the weight of the initial piece of glass!

I don't suppose he made a close packed clown face weight? I'd rather like one of those, plenty to look at!   :D
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 10:29:40 AM »
Quote from: "Max"
I don't suppose he made a close packed clown face weight? I'd rather like one of those, plenty to look at!   :D

I think he's planning to do some, and some vases, using the clown faces.  He said he's got enough of the clown murrines to last a lifetime, now   :lol:  :roll:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 05:46:29 PM »
the weight is so cool Leni
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia