No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stevens & Williams Jade Glass?  (Read 1476 times)

Offline drdevi

• Members
Stevens & Williams Jade Glass?
« on: August 02, 2006, 10:26:56 PM »
Hello experts,

I inherited some lovely glass dessert plates from my mother that I would like more information on. I have searched the web and have found little information. The plates are a celadon green, 7" in diameter. The S & W fleur-de-lys logo is on the bottom with the work "England" underneath, acid-etched into the plate bottom. The plates are fairly transparent, appear to be hand-made in that each plate is slightly different in thickness and concavity. One plate has the numbers 2256 hand-scratched into the bottom.

Are these jade glass, vaseline glass, alabaster glass, uranium glass? Are they rare? I thought they must be since there is so little information about S & W plates.

I have posted two photos to the Glass Gallery.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
drdevi
rdevi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2006, 11:57:29 AM »
Hi Welcome to the board. Nice plates. If they fluoresce very bright green under a UV light, they will be uranium glass, but they will also have another adjective in their name, e.g., jade uranium glass, but I don't know which one

Here are the links to your pictures

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2758
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2757

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Mike M

• Members
    • http://www.manddmoir.com
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2006, 06:09:05 PM »
Looks to me like they are pale

alabaster glass

unusual - but sadly nowhere near as collectable as they used to be!

Offline drdevi

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 04:40:09 AM »
Thank you for the information, Christine and Mike. I will try to locate a UV light and see if they fluoresce.

Was Stevens & Williams known for making serving wear - plates and such? Most of the S & W information I could find was for vases, jars, etc. I did find one link that said that the particular form of the logo on the dishes indicated that they were made around 1925-1927.

I have no idea where or when my mother got these, but she loved glass and porcelain and collected what she could.

Thanks again,
Devi
rdevi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Stevens & Williams Jade Glass?
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 10:05:13 AM »
Does anyone know what the timeline is for Stevens and Williams using this mark please?
'S- Fleur-de-lis - W' with England written underneath.
In Charles Hajdamach's British Glass 1800-1914 the mark is shown and the caption reads
'Faint acid etched mark with the fleur-de-lis between the initials S W on a slender green alabaster vase with white alabaster foot, late 19th century, in the Broadfield House Collections.'
I'm thinking late 19th might be a bit early? or is it?
thanks
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand