No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allenburys baby Feeder bottle  (Read 2219 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Allenburys baby Feeder bottle
« on: December 09, 2017, 03:48:54 PM »
Bearing in mind these things seem to be fairly common, I'd assumed there would be some pix on the Board's archive, but nothing surfaced on the search - so here it is.             There looks to be a suggestion that this design originated somewhere in the 1890s, but neither of the pressed numbers appear to confirm that - although it's true that I'm not 100% happy with my reading of the number.                   
It looks to be 643183 (October 1914) - but there is some distortion of the figures due to curvature of the glass etc., so if anyone can say for absolute certain what it reads that would be very useful.           Hopefully I will find this on my next trip to Kew.              There might also have been more than one design of bottle, which seems to be the case with Allenburys baby bottles on ebay.
On one side of the underneath there is additional wording which reads  ............    Rd. 10690/23/1359  -  no idea presently what this Rd. refers to  -  unfortunately neither number occurs in the list of Board of Trade Rd. Nos. ...................    if 10690 were a British No., this would put it back to August 1884  -  earlier than expected.

The name seems to be a combination of Allen & Hanburys - London  .........   they made pastilles too.              Something like 7.1/4 inches long (c. 18 cms.)

If anyone wishes to post additional information - that would be of interest. 

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Allenburys baby Feeder bottle
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 11:48:45 PM »
This might help with a bit of background, Paul: http://www.babybottle-museum.co.uk/banana-bottles/
"Banana bottles are said to have first appeared towards the late 1800’s with the first real banana feeder with a teat and valve invented in 1894 by Allen & Hanbury’s. In the next 15 years the model was modified over a series of four slightly different models."

Science Museum mentions one here: http://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk/objects/co121108/glass-infants-feeding-bottle-the-allenbury-feede-feeding-bottles, same with the V&A Museum of Childhood: http://www.vam.ac.uk/moc/collections/glass-feeding-bottle-1911/

Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:44:36 PM »
many thanks Anne  -  there seems to be a contradiction of dates - one comment saying that the final Registered Design was 1910 - although the No. appearing on mine dates to somewhere in 1914  -  so a bit confusing.         Probably the several varieties of design has made for some confusion - but your links will hopefully make this thread much more interesting than just my pix. - lots of good information.        I've done the Welcome Museum (London's Euston Road  -  and well worth a visit if you're in the area) - but a strong stomach needed for some exhibits.

I've pondered today on the meaning of the wording 'Rd. 10690 etc.'  -  thought it might have been a States Registration No., but Ivo's book gives this as late 1878 for the States - which seems a tad early for the Allenburys Feeder - and for the U.K. this No. would suggest August 1884.
I suppose 10690 might represent the original Registration No./date  -  and 643183 might be the final design Registration of somewhere in 1914.

Perhaps others might have better ideas.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 12:32:43 AM »
Some of the Allenbury's boxes seen to have a registered design number and a patent number on them, but the images are too small and unclear to make the details out. I wonder if we can track down a better image somewhere so we can see the details?

This is the best I've found so far but the numbers still are not legible: https://nainmamme.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/wpid-wp-1436636558096.jpeg

By the way, I used to work not far from the Wellcome Museum but I never managed to visit it.

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 02:40:08 AM »
Oooh! This image is clearer https://rcpsg.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/10.jpg  The wording appears to be
"Patent No 15440/05" and  "Reg. No. 343183" or possibly "543183" although this listing for another one gives the numbers as
Also embossed words and numbers PATENT BRITISH 154 49/05. Also embossed words and numbers REG. NO BRITISH 543183/0910690/23/1359.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:05 AM »
thanks for the additional links Anne  -  regret I can't read some of the information, but now consider the following interpretation to be accurate   .......

Reg. 543183 (this is some time in June 1909, which makes more sense than 1914) - however, the No. is not listed in the Blue Book, but hopefully will be found at Kew.              This revised date looks to tie in with comments to the effect that the final design was appeared around 1910.

the other Rd. No. reads  ..........  10690/23/1359

and the Patent No. is 15449

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 11:36:26 PM »
Glad we are getting there Paul, and I look forward to what you can unearth about these at Kew too. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 09:20:11 PM »
Pictures of factory drawings for Reg. 543183 dated 3rd June 1909, as in the attached.          I also looked at 10690 from July 1884 - but this appears to have nothing to do with a baby feeder, so if anyone can suggest to whatever the earlier No. refers that would be very helpful.
The commercial success of this innovative design is well documented, and this is supported by the evidence on the attached papers that show there were two extensions  - the first on 13th March 1914, and the second on 8th July 1918.

thanks as always to Trustees and Directors at TNA at Kew for their continued help and assistance with these Registered items.         

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 10:40:37 PM »
How interesting, thanks Paul, so the registrant wasn't Allen and Hanbury / Allenbury's at all, even though the RD no was on their packaging.

RH Dowell and RS Dowell of John Dowell and Sons are listed as ordinary members of The Society of Glass Technology (1919 and 1921 - possibly other dates too but those are the only lists I've found online so far). [archive.org]

Grace's Guide gives:
John Dowell and Sons of Leagrave Works, Chatsworth Road, London, E5 (Glass Bottle Manufacturers). 1922 Listed Exhibitor. Manufacturers of Plain and Stoppered Bottles for Chemical, Medical, Perfumery and all Trades. Also Babies' Feeding Bottles. (Stand No. G.52)

and

1951 Directory for the British Glass Industry: Companies D
DOWELL (JOHN) & SONS (GLASS BOTTLE MANUFACTURERS) LTD., LEAGRAVE WORKS AND GLOBE WORKS, CHATSWORTH ROAD, LONDON, E.5. T.A., "Acetized, Easphone, London". T.N. AMHerst 1515, 2219 (2 lines), and 1744. Established 1912. Five furnaces: oil; coke. Bottles and jars for medical and pharmaceutical, toilet and cosmetics, druggists and drysalters trades; feeding bottles; droppers; grinding and drilling. Directors: R. G. Dowell (Governing); E. C. Higgs; E. G. Gough. Secretary: E. A. Cox.

So, Dowell's made the feeding bottles and Allen and Hanbury made the baby feed that went into them. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand