No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: open sugar with greek key in dot pattern.  (Read 937 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
open sugar with greek key in dot pattern.
« on: December 09, 2017, 04:10:17 PM »
I thought possibly either Greener or Davidson - more likely the latter, but don't now have the Stewart's book to either rule them in or out - am sure someone here will recognize this fairly quickly.              About 5 inches tall, and a three part mould.
There's no doubt that the originator of this dot pattern/design was very imaginative  -  and it does of course work  -  those dots create a marvelous glint in the way they catch the light, creating the impression of glistening beads of threaded light.                No marks unfortunately, but presumably British, and £2 in the charity shop this morning, so couldn't resist
thanks for looking. :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
Re: open sugar with greek key in dot pattern.
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Had to check but remembered seeing something similar somewhere ... Looks a bit like  Streit 'Berlin' but the flowers are underneath the key here.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 11:27:27 AM »
quote  ...............   "am sure someone here will recognize this fairly quickly."      how wrong can you be ;D     thanks Anne - always appreciate your interest and help.
I think there's a little more amiss - comparing my sugar with the Streit 'Berlin' pattern - than just the placing of the flowers  -  I've had a look at Pamela's blue 'Berlin' dish/plate, and have to say that the key is of a different shape ..............   the Streit key appears not to go back in on itself - so feel confident that we can rule 'Berlin' out.
For anyone who may not be aware of the Streit 'Berlin' pattern, here is Pamela's piece of 'Berlin' you are referring to   .............  http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/02470.jpg

I'm certainly surprised that so far no one here in the U.K. has come screaming back to me to say didn't I know this was a rather common design from one of the big C19 early C20 pressed makers  -  I even hesitated when buying, thinking it must be a design already on the GMB. 

Offline Anne Tique

• Members
    • Kingdom of Belgium
    • https://www.pinterest.com/annetiquebe/
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »
Hi Paul, I'm sure you're right, it just made me think of the Berlin pattern.
Nice piece though...

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Certainly a good £2-worth, but I don't think that this is a sugar bowl from the Davidson 'Daisy suite', Paul.

All the reference pictures that I have show a single row of 'daisies' lining the scalloped rim above the Greek keys, then one or more rows of 'daisies' below the keys. The stem of the sugar is different too - plain vertical ribs rather than faceted baluster.  Also, The Davidson foot has no ribs on top, but it does have two rows of 'daisies'.

If your sugar bowl is British, then that row of dotted swags above the Greek keys suggests a Greener design, if anything. The bowl shape is rather Greener-ish too, but Greener sugar bowl stems do no normally have that baluster profile.

The Streit 'Berlin' sugars at
http://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Streit-1913.105+B6YmFja1BJRD0xMDUmcHJvZHVjdElEPTQ2NTcmcGlkX3Byb2R1Y3Q9MTA1JmRldGFpbD0_.0.html
are indeed very similar to the Davidson 'Daisy' pieces, and some do have a bowl similar to your sugar, but they too have 'daisies' to the foot, and the stems are not similar to that on your sugar either.

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
thanks for posting examples of Davidson pieces, Fred  -  again I think the key itself is not a match for Davidson.       Not being too well up on these things I assumed there 'looked' to be some sort of similarity with Davidson, but as you say this seems not to be the case.............. having seen very many sugars over the years, their patterns tend to blur a tad in the mind's eye. 
Designs composed of dots were not confined to G.B., and having been around pressed glass for a few years, I should have known better than to say 'presumably British'.
Sugars are possibly one of the most common shapes in pressed glass, and it might be thought this pattern would have surfaced before now.   Hopefully, someone may yet recognize it.
Those amber pieces are very attractive.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand