No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Anyone recognize the mark on this blue vase? Is it modern Fenton?  (Read 862 times)

Offline justjeff

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Vintage and art glass, crystal
    • Richmond, VA USA
So I went through a decent list of glass marks and didn't see this one. Just acquired this piece and haven't even cleaned it up yet, so apologies for the quality. Anyone recognize this mark? It measures 8" tall. Thanks in advance!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chilternhills

• Members
    • Isle of Wight glass
    • UK
    • Isle of Wight Studio Glass Enthusiasts Site
Re: Anyone recognize the mark on this blue vase?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 08:01:13 PM »
I wonder if it is a Japanese hiragana character? It is a complete guess but the symbol at the bottom looks sort of like a 'ka' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiragana character. I hope this doesn't lead you off a wild goose chase  ::)
Visit my Isle of Wight Studio Glass enthusiasts' site at https://iowstudioglass.wikidot.com and also Isle of Wight Museum of Glass at http://www.isleofwightglassmuseum.org.uk/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »
I have no problem with wild goose chases. They can be fun even if you don't catch anything. :) But your post caused me to look at the mark again and I think I have it aligned correctly in my head now. I'll repost the photo in a minute. I believe it's a cursive script, capital letter F inside the globe.

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
Ok, I think I've figured this out. This is a modern Fenton mark, right? Can anyone confirm?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Anyone recognize the mark on this blue vase? Is it modern Fenton?
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2017, 08:30:07 PM »
The stylized upper case script F looks to be unmistakably a Fenton trademark - it appears in several forms on labels etc., although have to say that despite having trawled the web I've found just about every label and backstamp except this exact one  ...........   it looks to be the F over printed on a globe.           Would appear that Fenton ceased making traditional glassware in 2011  -  it's just possible that this particular mark post dates that time, but that is only a rather uneducated guess.
Am sure there must be folk your side of the pond who will have a more accurate take on this question, but the answer does seem to be that yes, it's a modern mark.

Offline justjeff

• Members
    • Richmond, VA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 01:10:40 AM »
Thanks Paul. I just now stumbled across the logo doing an image search... blind luck. This apparently is the symbol for Fenton International. Here's the link to the same piece from their newsletter in case anyone is interested.  It's a little more than half way down the page.

http://www.fentonartglass.com/newsletter/2013/071013.asp

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 08:43:25 AM »
thanks for that, and for including the link.           I know less than nothing about the company, but in view of the newsletter comment which says 'Imported', then presumably this International range not made by Fenton.          Attractive vase by the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand