No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Carafe with red & white filigree spiral, maker Boston & Sandwich?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Carafe with red & white filigree spiral, maker Boston & Sandwich?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
Sorry all, must have missed a notification somewhere down the line and I have missed many replies until today.

Spotted this bowl at the last Glass Fair, described as Clichy, matches the carafe very well, same base finish, quality and white/red/white canes. Something about the Josephine suggestion rings true for me for some reason, ticking more boxes than the others. The photos from Passauer museum are quite convincing, deja vu, been here before with B&S!  :D

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2018, 08:45:06 PM »
I think, iirc, that pieces I have seen id'd as Clichy many times over are in fact Saint-Louis.
The Clichy book shows lots of filigrana pieces and none with this style.
Of course, no resource is  finite however I would go against Clichy until there is proof.
I don't know if the pontil mark is right for Clichy either.  I seem to remember a conversation about the pontil mark being very small and beautifully neat (Ivo?)
Certainly on the piece I have which is Saint-Louis it is also like that.  Not a large polished pontil mark.

But then I'm feeling very contrary at the moment when it comes to something being id'd for many years as from a particular house ... and then finding there is no proof  ;D
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2018, 08:57:43 PM »
Rebel ;)

That glass fair bowl was attributed to Clichy via old catalogues from one of the bigger auctions, I rest your case.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2018, 09:30:15 PM »
 ;D  I could be wrong though.  Just advising caution (because you know I have a history of not jumping to conclusions right?  :-X )

The foot on both the carafe and the bowl are integral aren't they?  not separately applied but both pieces hollow right down to, and including the foot?
 i.e. the whole piece has been shaped from one piece, not with a separately applied foot?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 09:51:24 AM »
Yes you are quite correct m, no applied foot on either the bowl or carafe.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand