No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Agate decors  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • UK
Agate decors
« on: January 08, 2018, 01:20:04 PM »
Hi,
I have these posted on a general site but thought they'd better fit here, if I can re size the photos.
I was going to add them to another post on Webb Corbett flambé agate but after three attempts have given up and given them their own post..fingers crossed 4th time lucky..
I wondered if anyone thinks the conserve pot is by Webb Corbett. I ask because I found an agate decor online in a pot identical in shape and size (it's 8cm tall) without a lid described as a Webb Corbett vase.
The toothpick holder is Stevens and Williams moss agate, although I don't see any crackle glass on the inside of it, as is described in its making..cracked soda glass, added powders, cased in lead glass, it is heavy for its size.
I do like these nature inspired decors, I think they're among the prettiest.
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Agate decors
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 03:18:58 PM »
the toothpick holder is attractive - you say it's S. & W., although I notice that Williams-Thomas book is very keen to say that "The fascinating "crackled" transparent alabaster effect of Moss Agate is particular to Stevens & Williams".     Is there any chance do you think that this one might be someone else's Moss Agate?            Apparently there was a M. A. by Steuben in the 1920s, although I can't off hand recall whether it had the crackled look, or not.                 Believe there was also some production of this type of decorative glass from a French factory.  :)

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 05:37:28 PM »
Hi PaulS,
Thank you for commenting. Gosh, that's a lot to think about, most of it over my head I'm afraid. I'm a relative beginner in the glass field. I thought the toothpick holder Stevens and Williams after someone pointed out the same shape in Queens Burmese. It's difficult to see the top in that photo so have added another. I've seen the shape quite often in burmese and once in clear glass decorated with gold gilt, both described as S&W. I don't own any reference books to research or compare pictures with, all my info comes from online, which I've learnt isn't always reliable.
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:06 PM »
Sorry Paul,
I meant Thomas Webb for the toothpick holder not S&W. I was trying to do two things at once and getting mixed up with a S&W vase. Who says women are good at multi tasking? Not true.
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline brucebanner

• Members
    • Victorian glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 06:27:13 PM »
Is it a vase or a toothpick?, I have one if each "toothpick" now as shown in Gulivers book, I asked him at the glass fair recently why he called them toothpicks and he said " What else would they be used for" he agreed they could easily be vases. None were recognised when I put them on an American toothpick collectors  site on Facebook.

I'm sure I have a few pieces now in Burmese from S&W and Paul is right I think  Legras and Clichy made similar looking glass.
Lovely items by the way.
Chris Parry

Offline Sendhandfran

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 08:26:14 AM »
Hi brucebanner,
Thank you for commenting. I'll look into the French connection. Since I began collecting glass I have so many 'toothpick holders', I wondered if they all could be meant for toothpicks. Couldn't they as easily be for matches or small bulb or cabinet vases (a term I'd not come across before).
Victorian glass. Uranium

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 08:41:15 AM »
the Victorians seem to have been very big in posy type vases, so likely this may have been their general intended use.      Have to say I've no idea what a C19 toothpick looked like  -  similar to a cocktail stick, perhaps?     

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 04:21:23 PM »
The possible Webb Corbett piece looks good to me but the decor looks different.
Can you photograph it without the lid side on profile and against a plain white background in daylight?

I'd really like to see the colours and the effect in daylight on plain background :)
Thank you.

The possible Thomas Webb violet vase or toothpick holder or match holder is a lovely decor.
Interesting if it is TW as to what decor it would be?

m

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 04:46:09 PM »
I was of the opinion that Webb Corbett Agate Flambe was always very heavy.
And I would suspect the moss agate one is right. It does look just like moss agate!
The first piece does not look like any sort of "agate" ware at all - it's more along a "cottage-style" of decor, with that white liner and being very finely blown.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »
my WC Agate Flambe pieces are heavyish (both bowls with lids), but they are not overly heavy.  But... they aren't light like my Bohemian pieces, which have a white interior and the mottled exterior and may be confusingly similar.  I suspect that some of the vases are heavier weight for size though.

The moss agate may be a moss agate type of decor but is it a TW decor - given the shape similarity to the TW Burmese?
mxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand