No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black / white filament segments around central bubble. ID = Merlin Glass  (Read 4255 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hi KevinH,
Sorry, it’s hard to describe in text!
a) there is no visible indentation.
b) yes, it is completely smooth.

The decoration isn’t just on the surface so it isn’t simple combed decoration as shown in the YouTube clip above. If you took a section horizontally through the weight, it would look like a wheel with five spokes with a hole in the middle. For each section, the decoration goes around the outside of the wheel, then down the spokes to the hole in the middle, which is the bubble.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
The decoration is often done before a paperweight is encased in its final layer. Combing doesn't have to be surface decoration

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Liskeard? I happened to look through a Miller’s Collectables book this afternoon and saw something similar from Liskeard. Looking on the internet there seem to be some quite like this weight but with four sections. There is no mark on my weight but could anyone confirm Liskeard? Thanks.

Offline ahremck

• Members
It is highly unlikely to be Liskeard Glass.  They made 2 varieties of paperweight.  The first "St. Tudy" in the 70s and the second variety "LG" later.  Both are marked by the pontil mark being stamped(see photos attached).  Your pontil mark has simply been "cracked off" which is typical of a small studio maker.

I am afraid that simple "looks like" is actually a poor way of attributing an item.  This is because glass makers get ideas from what others have done and try out new processes to try and replicate results - thus extending their range of technical skills.  Also they move from place to place and may make a familiar object - just not where it is typically made.

Unfortunately, we all have items we are not able to attribute satisfactorily.  It is just one of those things.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Merlin Glass.
Hi all and thanks for your replies. I’ve been having another look at this and still felt it looked like some Liskeard weights. I see after Liam Carey bought Liskeard Glass in 1983 he renamed it Merlin Glass and I’ve seen Merlin Glass weights only have a paper label.

I sent Merlin Glass an email today with photos showing the overall design and pontil scar with a description of the five segments and large central bubble. Carol got back to me very quickly with a nice email saying that Liam believes he made it but couldn’t remember when but it was a few years ago now. That’s good enough for me, very pleased!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Black / white filament segments around central bubble. ID = Merlin Glass
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2020, 09:47:08 AM »
...and a matching perfume bottle. I thought this was interesting - I suppose Mr Carey blew a bit harder and then turned it around to shape the neck.

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Black / white filament segments around central bubble. ID = Merlin Glass
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2020, 06:36:47 AM »
Congratulations on your detective work.  And thanks for getting back to us about your success.  It may help us help someone else in the future.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand