No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Black / white filament segments around central bubble. ID = Merlin Glass  (Read 4361 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hi. Information on the origin and age of this paperweight would be appreciated, thanks.

The filaments are alternate black and white arranged in five vertical segments. The filaments in each segment run around the outside then in towards the centre like the skin on a segment of orange. In the middle there is a large single bubble.

The paperweight is approximately 69mm diameter, 71mm high and weighs 450g. It has a depression in the bottom with a cleanly snapped pontil in the centre that is 10mm diameter. There is wear to the bottom indicating it has some age, possibly vintage.

The only thing like it that I have found online is new and has a superficially similar pattern but is much less fine and without a central bubble. The similar design is made in Brazil and it says ‘inspired by Murano’ so wondered if this could be from Murano.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Saw a similar weight recently that was made by Teign Valley Glass, look for the tiny engraved letters TVG close to the pontil mark.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Thanks John, I’ve had a look with a magnifier and there aren’t any markings. I’ll look into TVG as a possibility.

Offline ahremck

• Members
This type of decoration is called "combed".  Ignore the clear outer layer for a moment - it was added later.  Originally the core had a black spiral of glass added.  The maker then dragged a tool from top to bottom - pulling the spiral out of shape.  In this example each of the 5 drags was in the same direction.  Finally a layer of clear glass was added.

If the dragging had been done in both directions you get what is known as "pulled feather" of which my Orient & Flume Pen Holder is an excellent example.

In my experience this type of decor is very common from the USA.  However over there they would normally not coat it with clear glass.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Hi Ross, thanks for your info and this paperweight does look similar to the combed type you mention, but i don’t think this is how my paperweight was made. In my paperweight, the filaments go around the outside circumference of each segment and then in at a tangent towards the central bubble at each edge of each segment (like the skin on a segment of an orange). The filaments aren’t just on the outside surface. It looks like it may have been made by assembling five sections, then blowing a bubble.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
You don't create paperweights by sticking together bits. The technique used will be similar to that Ross has described

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Possible not, but that’s what it looks like. I assume lamp work paperweights and those with canes are made from more than one bit stuck or fused together.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
They are encased not stuck and everything has to be compatible or it doesn't work. You'd be surprised at complex paperweights can be made by hotworking.

Offline ahremck

• Members
This You Tube is a very crude demonstartion but it shows the principle of combing very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBZb2bkn4KU

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Hi Ekimp. I cannot identify your weight, but could you please, for interest, confirm a couple of points:

a) The "sections of an orange" that you described ... do you mean that there is a visible indented line between sections rising from the bottom to the top?

b) Is the surface of the weight completely smooth?
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand