No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Greener creamer  (Read 1477 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Greener creamer
« on: January 09, 2018, 09:05:44 PM »
Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone could confirm if this is a Greener creamer/jug.
We had it originally marked as Greener 1890 but I cannot find anything similar in your gallery or others. It looks like a daisy and button design but I have not seen anything else in this colour. Could it be EAPg? It's unmarked.
Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Pressed glass 1840-1900
    • Wales
Re: Greener creamer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:51:54 PM »
Greener & Co. certainly produced items in a blue (including an opalescent version) that seems similar to your creamer, mostly from their designs registered between the late 1880s and the early 1900s - see attached photos.

I also have some photo files of pieces with a similar decorative pattern to your creamer that I think were attributed to an unregistered Greener & Co. design  but I will need a little time to sort them out and check the details before I can post them.

Fred. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:32:29 PM »
Here is some strong(ish) evidence that your creamer is from an unregistered Greener & Co. design from around 1885-1895, hence its non-appearance on the GMB RD database.

Firstly, a photo of a handled dish or sweetmeat in blue glass which bears the 2nd Greener trademark (a left-facing demi-lion atop a stylised heraldic roll, with the lion holding a halberd in its upper paw). The decorative pattern on the dish itself is of rows or panels of 'hobnails within a cut star shape'/hobstars, the rows or panels being separated by narrow, plain strips. (Photo copyright littlecatblue).

Secondly, some photos of a similar dish in amber glass, but this time the dish is unmarked. (Photo copyright orcless).

Thirdly, an unmarked amber glass creamer similar to your blue creamer, with panels of hobstars which look very similar to those of the handled dish in the first 2 photos, the panels being separated by narrow, plain strips. Note that the circular foot of the creamer has straight lines radiating from the centre of the underside. (photo copyright eileen_dover-it). This may have some diagnostic significance when differentiating this putative Greener hobstar pattern from another Greener & Co. unregistered hobstar pattern (but a hobstar and rosette/daisy pattern) from around the same date but which I will show in follow-up postings.

Fred. 

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:39 PM »
In the Pottery Gazette of 1 April 1887, Greener & Co. placed on advert showing their designs for Victoria's Golden Jubilee. Along with  a sweet and a plate/bowl with obvious commemorative decoration (the State Crown with orb and sceptre in the centre bordered by 'VICTORIA | JUBILEE' '1837|1887' ON THE SWEET and 'QUEEN VICTORIA'S JUBILEE' 1837/1887' on the plate/bowl) there were illustrations of 9 items decorated with horizontal rows of hobstars alternating with rows of rosettes/daisies (and with no division of the decorative elements into panels by plain strips. 8 of the items - a jug in 3 sizes, a comport in 3 sizes, a handle sweet, a handled sweet with a crimped rim, a salt, an ashtray, a lifeboat flower trough in 2 sizes, and a boat in 2 sizes - are shown as being pattern 2006. The remaining item - a double sweet - is designated as pattern 2007. Unregistered designs again.

I attach a photo of the pattern 2006  jug from the advert along with 2 photos of an actual jug from the pattern in clear glass, the jug bearing the 2nd Greener lion trademark for 1885-1895. In addition, there is a photo of the same jug alongside a matching celery vase which also bears the Greener 2nd trademark and a circular foot decorated with hobstar - hence showing that there were other shapes made in pattern 2006 which did not appear in the Pottery Gazette advert. (Permission for the re-use of the images of the jug and celery granted  by Debra Saunders).

I attach a photo of the pattern 2006 comport from the advert but I don't have a reference photo of an actual comport in the pattern. The circular foot of the comport is decorated with a row of hobstars with a row of demi-rosettes below.

I will add photos of other pattern 2006 shapes to follow-up postings in due course.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
A clear glass creamer from pattern 2006, marked with the 2nd Greener trademark, and with a patterned circular foot. (Photo copyright 40mb).

An amber glass pedestal sugar from pattern 2006, unmarked, but with a patterned circular foot. (Photo copyright rosamonds123).

Oval blue and amber footed dishes from pattern 2006, both marked with the 2nd Greener trademark.

None of these shapes were illustrated in the Pottery Gazette advert.

Fred.

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:52:51 PM »
A clear glass sweet from pattern 2006, marked with the 2nd Greener trademark, along with the corresponding illustration from the Pottery Gazette.

An unmarked blue opalescent glass 5 inch boat from pattern 2006, along with the correspondng illustration from the Pottery Gazette advert. (Photo copyright Roy Jones).

Fred.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:31 PM »
what can we say Fred, except feeling a little humbled at your magnificent efforts  -  well done. :)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »
Fantastic,
Fred thanks very much for all that. I'm pleased it's Confirmed Our records.

We don't have much of the blue flint colour , I presume that's why it found its way in the surplus box. Unfortunately it has a small hairline crack at the base, another reason why it may have been put to one side.

Cheers Mike

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 02:35:34 AM »
Hello:

The creamer in post #1 is Greener's No. 2007.  It appears in the April 1 1887 advertising insert referenced above. The insert has six pages, four of which have illustrations of glass ware.

Sid

Offline agincourt17

• Members
    • Wales
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 02:45:28 PM »
Thank you, Sid.

Fred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk