No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington?  (Read 723 times)

Offline burch69

• Members
    • All modern glass
    • United Kingdom
Dartington?
« on: January 11, 2018, 12:45:54 PM »
Hi wondering on these, its is a glass lamp surround. Seem to remember reading something many years back about F Thrower for Dartington, doing these and design on front similar to some of his work. Pics not great but top has marks that indicate a separating mold. Unfortunately don't have any other pics at moment, is approx 25cm.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Dartington?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
my opinion is no.             As you say, raised dots in circle formation surrounding a central motif, do occur on a number of these earlier squat shaped pieces (nipple vase most memorable), but I don't ever recall  -  and can't find in the book  -  something with a motif like this one, nor with a top that shape.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline burch69

• Members
    • All modern glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 05:35:38 PM »
Ok thanks for that Paul

Yes was trying to remember where the thread of info came from earlier and haven't been able too recall as yet. Indeed the top is something of a curiosity alright, quite like it though. Can I ask if the Dartington book has lamp surrounds in it?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:03:42 PM »
to the best of my knowledge, no  -  neither the Mark Hill book or the larger Smithson's volume include any lamp surrounds such as this.    There's a couple of hurricane lamp chimneys and a candle lamp, none of which is anything like yours, and then there's the legendary Lucifer oil lamp, but again very far removed from yours.         Another feature showing on this one, is the noticeable shoulder bevel, which doesn't seem to occur on Dartington pieces.

Having waffled thus far, it's nonetheless quite striking how the central circular stylized raised sun motif - within the circle of dots - is very similar to an almost identical moulded sun motif that was used by Dartington.            Let's hope yours wasn't a prototype lamp of immense value ;D ;)
Perhaps a bit of plagiarism going on here.  :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline burch69

• Members
    • All modern glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:00:30 PM »
Unfortunately not mine a not internet friend's item, but have to admit the design is growing on me for what it is. As you rightly say perhaps bit of design borrowing/homage going on here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand