No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: British-Made "Verlys" and "Hanots" glassware  (Read 2982 times)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
British-Made "Verlys" and "Hanots" glassware
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »
Duplicate Posting on Art Glass Collectors Group on Facebook (with larger photos)

During my research into the Chance Brothers' archives, I came across the mention of "Verlys" and "Hanots" pressed glassware - reminiscent of Lalique and Sabino in quality. With a bit more digging I learnt that these were designs by the French company, Société Anonyme Holophane, which was originally founded to create prismatic light shades.

Believing that any agreement with Holophane never took place, I then found mention of Chance negotiating for its release from the contract and that ‘[we] continue to make and sell pending notification from them [Holophane] of their having concluded an agreement with another British manufacturer.'
So, surprise, surprise, it appears that for a very short while Chance did produce this glassware in 1933 and 1934.

Most of the Verlys glass is sold as 'French', but in actual fact, those NOT signed 'France' were made under license - much can be found like this in the US. I was then fortunate to purchase these two bowls rather cheaply (in the UK) that simply have the word "Verlys" embossed on the inside, which suggests they were made outside France. Could these be Chance-made?

If anyone does have information on who took over the manufacture of this glassware in the UK, then I'd be interested to learn who. I'm sure it wasn't Davidson, even with its links to Holophane.

I'm not sure about the "Hanots" range, but it appears to comprise mainly of lamp shades and fittings.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: British-Made "Verlys" and "Hanots" glassware
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 06:42:42 PM »
After dashing in and out of the room several times to check the lampshade in the hall, I can ascertain that that is not the Jobling Lambton rose pattern. In that, the roses are not in groups of three, but single.
I also had to go rushing to my coffee table and grab the Verlys opalescent butterfly ashtray I have there.
Finding the mark meant clearing out pins, needles, buttons, kirby grips, batteries and dustbunnies (everybody needs a dish containing all of these things beside them at all times  ;) ).
But it says France beside it. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 09:08:17 PM »
Ah well, thanks for looking Sue. Would be nice to see some photos of your examples of Verlys.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 02:10:28 AM »
Not sure exactly about the Chance connection -- I suspect any link may have started related to Holophane's prismatic shades given Chance's production of lighting, but of course I can't be certain. Verlys rose pattern bowls were certainly also made in the US where they seem to have been  quite popular. Wayne & Carol McPeek's book shows the design on p. 57 and gives production dates of 1935-51. Colours were phased out in around 1940 and colourless frosted pieces are typical of the 1940-51 period of US production.

Regarding marks, early French production is signed in diamond point -- the books often neglect to mention this -- while later pressings are typically moulded 'Verlys France' or 'A. Verlys France'. US production is most commonly marked 'Verlys' in diamond point, but some have a moulded 'Verlys' mark -- with or without an additional diamond point incised mark. A while ago I owned a large 'Les Canards Sauvage' bowl which was found in the UK and which only had a moulded Verlys mark -- I'm wondering where that was made now -- would be very interesting to find it was Chance production.

There is also mention in Baker & Crowe of Chance making 'opalescent glass lighting panels' which are described as similar to those produced by Lalique (p.11). As I recall, the Verlys name in the UK was owned by Walsh Walsh at some point. This may be the firm referred to, but I can't find the source where I read this at the moment. Walsh Walsh of course made their own deco style moulded glass, e.g. the Vesta lighting panels and latterly a range of other pieces using similar techniques. I recall seeing a very French looking mould blown frosted vase decorated with dragonflies and I was very surprised to see it marked Walsh -- I don't think it was a match for a French Verlys pattern though...

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:12 AM »
Here's an amber Verlys rose pattern bowl : this one's French production and marked as such.
I've also found an old pick of my 'Les Canards Sauvage' bowl which is just marked 'Verlys' in the mould.

The des Hanots name was certainly in use by 1933 -- the letterhead shown on a scan on the Pressglas-Korrespondenz 1933 catalogue page includes the wording 'Les Verreries D'Art Verlys * Des Hanots'. It's often seen on lighting, but I've also seen a coupe 'Les Raisins', cat. no. 8622 with the Hanots mark.

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 08:56:51 AM »
The possible Walsh connection regarding the Verlys trademark is mentioned in Eric Reynolds' article on John Walsh Walsh in The Glass Museum Online. Reynolds states that Walsh registered the Verlys trademark in the UK on the same day that Holophane withdrew their application; thus suggesting there may have been an agreement between the two firms.

Source: http://theglassmuseum.com/johnwalshwalsh.htm

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
Thanks for that Steven, most informative.

However, it is certain that Chance did press Verlys as it is mentioned in the Minute Books between 1933 and 1934 that it would 'continue to make and sell' Verlys. There is no ambiguity about this.

The Rose bowl pattern was bought from a UK seller, although of course, that doesn't mean it is British, just that the likelihood is a little higher. Of the two bowls, one has the embossed 'Verlys' mark, the other is plain. However, once I get to sift through the production records I should be able to confirm the quantities that Chance produced in the year or so that it manufactured Verlys.

Interesting that the Verlys range was produced by Walsh Walsh and this would certainly fill the gap after Chance dropped production. I will have to see if Chance ever registered the trademark - I imagine it did.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Mosquito

• Members
    • 中国 (China)
    • Jobling Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »
Hi David, it's a fascinating discovery: thanks for sharing it with us.

Do you know which colours might have been in production at Chance at the time?

Your unmarked rose bowl could be from the US: Heisey production c. 1956-7 was not marked in the mould and instead just carried stickers. The mould is one that Heisey leased during this time: see plate 4 in McPeek & McPeek (1992).

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 11:02:05 AM »
Do you know which colours might have been in production at Chance at the time?

Not at present, Steven. It should become clear when I plunge into the production records at Chance. The only problem here is that this part of the archives has still to be catalogued and the whole Chance archive is, well, "rather large". About 30 cubic metres* to be more precise :o

However, I have one example of Spiderweb in opalescent, which definitely dates to pre-1939. At this time we know that production Spiderweb was made in clear, amethyst, teal, green (uranium) and a brown-smoked. On top of this, other contemporary glassware such as the Goodden ashtrays, were made in opal green (uranium and not*), blues in various shades (clear and opal), and even pale-green with iridescence.

Another good point about British Verlys: The US company was almost certainly prohibited from selling into the British Empire market; likewise, Chance/Walsh the same into the US & Canadian markets. So any Verlys glassware bought in the UK has a much higher 'chance' of being British in manufacture.

EDIT: Non-uranium opal green was probably produced after 1945 due to the restrictions on the use of uranium oxide, etc.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 12:32:47 PM »
The Walsh information may not be accurate. There is only one record for Verlys in the UK database
https://trademarks.ipo.gov.uk/ipo-tmcase/page/Results/1/UK00003047958

[Mod: link was incorrect - see following posts]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand