No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Who made Falconnier glass bricks embossed "DEP FRANCE / BELGIQUE"?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
I'm updating my Falconnier glass brick page (due to a contact from a Russian enthusiast, who sent me pics of both Polish and Russian manufactured versions used in Saint Petersburg), and it occurs to me that I don't know who made the most common of his bricks!

The usual embossing seen is "DEP FRANCE / BELGIQUE" which I always assumed just meant "Made in France or Belgium", but in trying to pin it down, I find I can't actually identify the acronym or abbreviation "DEP" at all.

So my two questions are:
  • Who made these?
  • What does "DEP FRANCE / BELGIQUE" mean exactly?  Is DEP an abbreviation or acronym or company mark??
  • Am feeling ignorant since this is such an obvious question that should have been asked long ago.   ???

I also found a new 8-page Falconnier catalog from Glashüttenwerken Adlerhütten, ca 1905, which I have scanned and put online:
    Here's the 27MB 300DPI PDF: http://glassian.org/Falconnier/Catalog2/falconnier_adlerhutten_catalog_1905.pdf

Thank you!

--ian

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline keith

• Members
    Re: Who made Falconnier glass bricks embossed "DEP FRANCE / BELGIQUE"?
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 06:07:35 PM »
    If it's the same as you find on some bisque head dolls' don't ask why I know this  ::) it means registered, it's from the word deponiert I believe.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ian.macky

• Members
      • http://glassian.org
    Re: Who made Falconnier glass bricks embossed "DEP FRANCE / BELGIQUE"?
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 06:26:00 PM »
    If it's the same as you find on some bisque head dolls' don't ask why I know this  ::) it means registered, it's from the word deponiert I believe.
    Perhaps déposer (to file a patent)?  That would work, but seems odd the body would note it's registered in France/Belgium, while the seal usually says "D.R.P / 41773" -- D.R.P. is Deutsches Reichspatent, non?

An online search for "DEP FRANCE" turns up almost no likely hits; also seems odd that this would not be a more common embossing on patented glassware, if that's what it means.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand