No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not Monart /Ysart - Murano suggested  (Read 4850 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Not Monart /Ysart - Murano suggested
« on: August 04, 2006, 10:10:10 PM »
Hi, I am very new to the board, having found it on a search looking for information on a piece of glass I recently purchased. Mother-in-law, who is of course an expert on everything thinks it is Monart, I'm included to say Ysart, but would love to know for sure. Cannot find a picture of its shape, closest I have found is an ashtray, but this is either the world's largest ashtray or is a bowl. Has the wavey (scalloped?) edge of an ashtray. Colour is pink with brown/purple swirls (like they were starting to play with the milleflore of the paperweights) and lots of the aventurine. No label of course. The bottom (Plinth?) is quite smooth. Okay, I know I'm hopeless, but... :D

What other pieces of information would you like? I don't have a digital camera, but could bum one if you really really wanted a picture.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 04:04:08 AM »
Hi, yes I thought I might need to get a picture up. I will try to do so in the next little while. In the mean time, I thought I would try to do a more complete description. I have read the ysart glass website and it merely served to confuse me more (sorry Frank, but I am new at this).

Diameter:  approximately 9 inches (23 cm)
Height:  approximately 4 inches (10 cm)

It appears to be made of several layers of glass. The top one (inside of bowl)  is clear, with the occasional (and rare) bit of dark pink glass. Directly below that is a pink layer, with adventurine and swirls (blotches?) of green, orange and purple (there are three largish ones and two much smaller ones). The adventurine is scattered throughout this layer. The majority of the pink bits in the clear glass layer are grouped like petals around one of these smaller blotches, but there are a few others as well. Below this layer is a layer of white and then a thick layer of clear glass. The first three layers are fluted with the last layer being fluted in opposition to the first fluting, but also are below the other flutes.

The bottom is absolutely flat. I would be absolutely convinced it is a Monart piece except for the fluting. This makes me think it might by Vysart, but I really more confused than anything.  As I said, I will try to get some pictures up shortly.

Can anyone think of any questions that I might be able to answer? There is, of course, no label.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 07:33:39 AM »
There are so many possibilities that fit the description that only pictures will tell. I agree is sounds more Strathean/ Vasart than Monart but the base finish sounds wrong. But this could just be you need to understand the terminology... so picture please and we can teach you a bit about that as well as ID the piece (maybe :? )

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 08:29:17 AM »
Hi Carolyn,
                  your piece is not Ysart glass :cry: , may be Italian but is not Ysart im afraid, im sure Frank will come back with its origin
                               Gary
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 09:28:51 AM »
yep as gary said, it's Italian
cheers Ray

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 01:07:50 PM »
Best move it to the Murano forum then. It's quite a common shape. I have one here with bubbles over the silver. BTW that's not a crack, its colorant in the base. Be nice to know who made them and when. Click to enlarge

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 04:52:10 PM »
Yes, the shapes of the two pieces are basically dead on. But what about the averturine? And the colorations with the canes? (And why are they called canes in the first place?)

I am a bit disappointed as I collect Scottish stuff (my husband was born in Glasgow and I am partiallly Scottish ancestry), but I still love my glass! :D

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 05:01:24 PM »
Christine, the two pieces are so similar, they must be the same age/ manufacturer. Can you tell me about your piece?

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 07:25:57 PM »
I know nothing about mine, except it was probably made on Murano, sorry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum