No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Ford candlesticks  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Simba

• Members
  • QVOD SIS ESSE VELLIS - Be happy as you are !
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
John Ford candlesticks
« on: January 30, 2018, 10:21:23 AM »
Whilst researching a glass candlestick for a friend who's just bought a female figurine one which I believed has been attributed to John Ford's Glassworks Holyrood I accidentally came across these http://www.onlinegalleries.com/art-and-antiques/detail/a-pair-of-antique-victorian-glass-oil-lamps/225288 I have never seen anything like these before and wonder if the are original or a marriage...would be interested to hear anyones thoughts. I have contacted they dealer and am awaiting a reply.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
Re: John Ford candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:31:28 PM »
I have had a reply from the gallery.... :o      Dear Ms Evans,

Thank you for your enquiry on our pair of Victorian Glass Oil Lamps, and for the information provided regarding John Ford Glassworks. I can certainly see the similarity to other etched glass works attributed to them.

Please find enclosed an image of the pair of oil lamps, along with a description and dimensions for your convenience. In our opinion these are how they were originally made.

The price is £6,000 for the pair and they are currently on display in our Kensington Church Street showroom where you would be most welcome to view them in person. We are open from Monday to Friday 9.30 am – 6 pm, Saturday 9.30 am – 4 pm and Sundays by appointment.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
What else would they say! LOL No mention of restoration - that brass is very shiny!!

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 01:16:54 PM »
Well brass is very easy to polish up like new so not concerned about that really...just chatting to another collector in Australia who has a pair of these one of which she originally bought with an oil lamp fitting which she removed. The plot thickens.

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 12:33:23 PM »
Whilst researching something completely different I found this article on these candlesticks and comports...it appears they were made by St Louis c1870's....pk-2008-2w-sg-marinha-grande-ivima-1901.pdf

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 11:05:14 PM »
Hi Simba, please repost the "pk" link as the one you give, and which is attached to the preceding dots, does not work.
KevinH

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 06:10:44 AM »
It's this one I think https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2008-2w-sg-marinha-grande-ivima-1901.pdf
Unfortunately the orginal photos have gone

Offline Simba

• Members
    • Art Deco Glass
    • Wales
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 09:38:47 PM »
Thanks Christine thats the page !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand