No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kuttrolf Origin & Age?  (Read 1323 times)

Offline MatW

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Greece
Kuttrolf Origin & Age?
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:19:46 AM »
Hi, I try to find out more about this engraved Kuttrolf (or Kluck Kluck decanter). I think it is not one of the typical Holmegaard pieces. Height is 22 cm and it has a partly flattened bottom and a polished out pontil... There is a number on the bottom... Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
Matthias

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
Re: Kuttrolf Origin & Age?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 08:21:11 AM »
And the number:

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »
hi  -  trouble with these things is that whilst there has been considerable variation over the years, most countries have made similar shapes and patterns.             Assume you have the same matching No. on the stopper ??  -  if not then you may have a replacement.
But IMHO I'd rule out this one being made in the U.K.  -  that figure one is so very continental in style  -  and wheel engraving is not so common either.

I think it would be a rash person who would commit themselves to naming a specific country of origin, though I'm not against suggesting Denmark or one of the Scandinavian countries, despite you scepticism ;D    ................   let's see what others think.

Nice bottle by the way.    Which of pix one or two is correct for proportions  -  picture two makes this looked a tad stretched/thin.?

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 01:09:53 PM »
Thank you Paul S.! Yes, it is difficult to determine the origin, I know. It is indeed not the normal suare shape, but it is somehow flat ( you can see in the picture of the bottom that the base is rectangular but far from square. Most Scandinavian ones I have seen have a square or round bottom... One I found that has a seemingly similar shape is labeled as possibly "bayerischer Wald", but it is enamel painted... http://www.richter-kafitz.de/details/objekt/gluckerflasche-mit-emailmalerei-26-04-2008.html

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 02:08:45 PM »
yes, you may well be correct with Bavarian  -  not too distant from Bohemian in style and the wheel engraving would fit too.     But ultimately you are going to have to live without certainty on this one  -  something which is so often the case with clear glass of a shape and style produced in many countries over many decades.          But you can at least use this item  -  unless of course you are abstemious and always sober ;D

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 05:20:53 PM »
I certainly will!  ;)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
as for the date Mat  -  again not easy since some shapes persisted for many decades as we've said  ....................   possibly a best guess might be late C19 up to c. 1930/40  -  but that is really only my opinion, and age may depend to some extent on the degree of wear under the base.
With bottles that have seen long term alcohol content, there is often a residue/cloudiness on the inside of the bottle, but again this may depend of the type of glass  - this one looks clean and may not have had much use.       

Offline MatW

• Members
    • Greece
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
Thank you again, Paul S. There is considerable wear on the bottom, so I guess the timeframe you suggest may very well be correct.
Mat

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand