No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Rachael Woodman Studio Glass Translucent Bowl 1984  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Rachael Woodman Studio Glass Translucent Bowl 1984
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2018, 09:03:00 PM »
I've made contact with Marc McCarty, the glassblower at the Devil's Hole on Jersey, he's the only working glassblower on the island at this time, and asked if he knew of Rachael having worked on Jersey but he came up blank as well.

We know that Charlie Meaker was on Jersey in 1986 (link in  reply #6 above) which would appear to be The Strawberry Farm, St.Peter as mentioned here from 1986 and again as "Strawberry Farm - glass blowing, leather workers, craft goods as well as strawberries" here so that presumably is where Strawberry Studios comes in. I can't (so far) find any more glassworkers connected to Strawberry Farm other than Paul Musgrove in the link M posted in reply #6 above and Jane Charles who was at Strawberry Farm Glassworks, Jersey,  c.1984-86.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 05:35:55 PM »
Thanks Anne and m for the extra info which I have only just noticed so sorry for the late reply. I have not found anything more out myself.

Thanks Roy

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2018, 09:42:36 PM »
Stewart Hearn's CV says that he was 'Occasional Glassmaker's assistant' during the period 83-86 to Charlie Meaker, Jim Griffiths, and Rachael Woodman and Neil Wilkin.
Another link between Rachael Woodman and Charlie Meaker.

http://www.londonglassworks.com/stewarthearn/images/cv/Stewart_Hearn_C.V.pdf

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2018, 09:54:58 PM »
this is an interesting piece:

Apparently the auction listing says:
'a modern Art Deco style glass bowl by Charlie Meaker of Ireland'  (don't know who that might be? but the bowl has some similarity in design with Rachael's bowl )
https://www.goldingyoung.com/Lot/?sale=LN210813&lot=96&id=356587

Offline mhgcgolfclub

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »
Thank you m for those 2 links all very interesting.

Roy

Offline TWeston

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Blown Glass
    • Denmark
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2019, 05:59:49 PM »
Hi :)
My name is Tracey Weston and I worked with Rachael Woodman at Strawberry Farm Glassworks (Charlie Meakers Jersey studio - 1983-1986) in the summer of 1984.
She made these types of bowl that summer in a variety of colours.
After I graduated from Stourbridge College in 1985, I went to work for Rachael ay her and Neil Wilkins studio in Bath.
At that time Neil, Steve Bradley and myself made all Rachaels one-off pieces (she did all the cold-work - grinding, sandblasting and acid-etching) - but on Jersey these bowls were made by Rachael herself as production pieces.
Hope this was helpful  ;)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2019, 06:51:47 PM »
Hi Tracey and welcome to the board :)

Thank you so much for joining in.  It's always really appreciated to hear  first hand information!  And  really helpful to fill in details that can be few and far between in books. It's a shame if that information is not recorded so this is great to know :)

I have a few pieces by Neil.  They are on the board somewhere. I think at least one bottle style piece may have been made been whilst you were working  at the studio as iirc it's dated 1986.

Thank you again.

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand