No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: hell halbweiss?  (Read 4207 times)

Offline ian.macky

• Members
    • http://glassian.org
hell halbweiss?
« on: February 18, 2018, 12:47:50 AM »
Can anyone tell me what the glass color "hell halbweiss" might be?  It's the cheapest color listed in Falconnier glass brick catalogs, and since the default/common glass color is the usual sort of light aqua, I assume that's what it refers to.  True clear glass ("weiss") is more expensive.

Danke...

--ian

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: hell halbweiss?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 01:18:07 AM »
Literally it translates to bright half white so I wondered if it means opaque rather than clear?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:25:22 AM »
Literally it translates to bright half white so I wondered if it means opaque rather than clear?
AFAIK the only opaque bricks were in milkglass, listed in the catalog as "opal" or "milchweiss".

I also notice my other catalog lists the basic color as just "halbweiss", not "hell halbweiss"; presumably these were the same thing and the "hell" was just marketing-fluffery.

--ian

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:17:54 PM »
Hmmm it could be, Ian. I asked Dirk about it and gave him the link to this topic so I hope he might pop over and add a comment.

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »
Hiya,
to be honest it was a term I hadn´t heard of, but it seems I may have found the answer.
It appears to be the technical term for glass, which isn´t perfectly clear, but has the typical tinge
of e.g. recycled glass.
So it should have the typical greenish tinge to it.
http://glas-freital.com/index.php/flaschen/weinflaschen/bordeauxflaschen/weitere-bordeauxflaschen/bordeaux-allegee-bm
In german sometimes the term ´weiß´ (white) is used synonymically with ´klar´ (clear).
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

Offline Anne

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:37:06 PM »
That's very helpful, thanks Dirk. It seems to support what Ian was thinking as well. 

Offline ian.macky

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 10:28:02 PM »
It appears to be the technical term for glass, which isn´t perfectly clear, but has the typical tinge of e.g. recycled glass.  So it should have the typical greenish tinge to it.

Thank you; that fits.  glas-freital.com isn't responding, but the wayback machine has the pages: they list three colors for their 750 ml Bordeaux Allegee BM: weiß, halbweiß and lichtgrün.

In german sometimes the term ´weiß´ (white) is used synonymically with ´klar´ (clear).

Would there be a distinction between klar and krystall, i.e. degree of clarity?  I'm inclined to think this is just more marketing.

In the insulator world, when they wanted a colorless glass, and used "glassmaker's soap" (manganese dioxide) instead of expensive and rare pure silica sand, they ended up with what collectors call "off-clear": colorless, but not really clear, since the manganese added a purple tint which just countered the greenish tint caused by iron contamination (and both tints were subtractive).  Off-clear is sort of very light gray, if you can picture that in glass (a couple examples attached).

Offline dirk.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 07:23:20 PM »
The synonymical use of the the term white for clear would only work in one direction, so a clear
item would sometimes possibly be called white, but never vice versa.
I think the word ´kristall´ would always implicate a stronger clearness than just ´klar´. There would
also be the word ´kristallklar´ (crystal clear) in german with the same meaning as in english; this
can also be used in a figurative way.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx

...working on it...
https://picasaweb.google.com/108140812446658939096

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand