No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unknown deep red glasses  (Read 880 times)

Offline MarioVermeer

• Members
  • Dutch collector of Finnish glass
    • Finnish glass
    • the Netherlands
Unknown deep red glasses
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:27:03 PM »
Dear all,
recently I purchased 4 deep red handblown glasses (expeced to be relatively old). The seller indicated that he bought a number of Nuutajärvi items including these glasses and is therefore expected to be Finnish/Scandinavian. The height of the glasses is 15 cm and the opening is 8,5 cm and the bottom 6 cm. No label, no signature of any kind.

Who is able to give me a clue?

Thanks for your help.

Mario

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Unknown deep red glasses
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »
Hi  -  It's very possible you're correct with your suggestion of Nuutajarvi Notsjo (Finland)  ................  looking in Pina & Vigier 'Fire & Sea' (a Schiffer publication 2006), this company appear to have made very similar pieces - in a deep red - designed originally by Kaj Frank - post 1950.

They appear to have made a lot of what might be termed utility glassware - plain and simple designs - and although some of their ranges carried a pattern name such as 'Tupa' for example, unfortunately I can't give you a design name for this one.

Are you sure these are hand blown  -  have to say that in my ignorance the base finish does have a machine-made appearance.    What sort of age, in your opinion Mario, is "(expeced to be relatively old)  :)

My comments are only my opinion of course, and I dare say that red tumblers have been made, at one time or another, by the world and his wife - and my suggestion could be very wrong, but hope this gives you some sort of clue.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline MarioVermeer

• Members
    • Finnish glass
    • the Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »
Hi Paul,
thanks very much for your reply on my search. Is it possible to post a picture from the page with the glass(es) from that book?

Indeed I expect something in the range from 50s-60s, for me indicating 'relatively old'. I've added two additional pictures, showing the difference in thickness of the bottom (not very good to see), which is also reflected by difference in weight (256, 229, 180 and 224 grams). Next to that, I also tried to make a picture of one of the intact rims showing not a smooth edge. This made me think of hand-blown glasses.

As you already indicated, these kind of glasses can also be made recently anywhere, e.g. China, India.

Best regards,
Mario
the Netherlands

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 06:52:55 PM »
Is it possible to post a picture from the page with the glass(es) from that book?
The book is still in copyright, so unless permission is obtained from the publisher & the image's copyright owner, Board policy does not permit copies to be added here.

Board policy on use of copyright images and text is outlined in the thread: ADMIN: Using Copyright Material
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 07:03:22 PM »
P.S. at the beginning  ........ ;)              I had already typed my reply before noticing the Moderator response, but have let my words stand without alteration.

regret I'm unable to post pix from books Mario  -  all such images are copyright, usually either the publisher or the author, and the GMB upholds strictly such legal arrangements, so hope you understand.         My guess would be that red tumbler shaped glasses, with straight sides and lacking individual identifying features, have been commonplace over the years, and even seeing the picture wouldn't necessarily provide confirmation that yours were Nuutajarvi.                 On the screen, unrelated pieces would show a degree of similarity that in my opinion might hinder more than help.
I've just looked on Abe Books, having assumed this volume and its companion might be affordable - unfortunately both seem to be holding their price well, and are not inexpensive, though if you collect Scandi glass then I'd suggest they're worth the money.  :)       

Offline MarioVermeer

• Members
    • Finnish glass
    • the Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 08:49:10 PM »
Hi Paul,
just came across these type of glasses which are the closest I could find, matching the ones I have. Have a look at e.g. https://retroartglass.com/product/royal-ruby-tumblers/, made between 1938-1967 by Anchor Hocking, USA.
Regards,
Mario

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 09:30:57 PM »
Hi Mario,
the US glasses seem to have a different shape, and I rather think yours are not Nuutajärvi either.

Looking at your location, I would probably research Dutch, German or Belge makers; several produced colourful glasses like these in the 1960s/70s.
For instance, do a google search for "verres de Boussu" ;)

Michael

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 10:19:06 PM »
hi Mario  -  sorry to say I'm inclined to agree with Michael, at least insofar as the shape of the A.H. appear to differ slightly compared to your glasses.             Certainly A.H. (States) have made vast amounts of pressed table glass over the years, though I believe their wares always show a moulded (in relief) trade mark .................. earlier pieces carry an anchor over an H, and the later mark appears to be an anchor within a square.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand