No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Victorian? Book Vase  (Read 3177 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Victorian? Book Vase
« on: February 21, 2018, 09:10:51 PM »
Hi, I would be grateful if anyone can give me some info on this glass book vase. It's around 11cm high unmarked.
I've seen a reference that Burtles Tate made a book vase/ink well but I don't think this is it. Any ideas?
Thanks Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Victorian? Book Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
Not a piece that I recall ever having seen as a Registered design Mike, and my opinion is that at this size, and without a top, it's unlikely to have been an ink well  - do you recall where you saw the reference to B. & T.?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
Hi Paul
The Burtles Tate rd501821/2 salt cellar ink pot referred in " Manchester Pressed Glass" a PGCC publication.
While looking for that I came across a picture in Marking times no.30 of the same piece saying. It was sold full of sweets at Christmas in Victorian times , but still have no clue who made it.
Thanks Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 05:18:24 PM »
thanks Mike  -  a sweet container seems quite likely  .............   "in Victorian times"  .......  well, that narrows it down then ;D ;D

Do you know if pix of the B.T. Rd. Nos. you mention might be of use on the Board's archive  -  I don't presently have them (they date to May 1907 so not Victorian), but if you think of use I can grab them next time I visit Kew.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
Hi Paul,
Sorry I don’t have pictures only this illustration for salt cellar/ink well.

Mod: Image had to be removed because of Board policy on copyrighted material.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:19:19 PM »
Mike, sorry to have taken a while to get back to this. And thanks for confirming the source of the illustration as being in a leaflet from the Pressed Glass Collectors Club, which does mean it will be removed from the Board.

I am also informed that the same illustration is in Jenny Thompson's book too, but that is also subject to copyright. And other folks' searches of the internet have not found an equivalent image.

Paul, it would be very useful indeed if you can "grab the details" for the B & T Rd numbers.
KevinH

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 09:58:10 PM »
sorry, bit thick here and until Kevin mentioned that a drawing for B. & T. No. 501822 is shown in Jenny Thompson, I was unaware of this one and its companion 501821  -  though I'm still unsure as to exactly how these two Nos. are related to each other.                 Do they both relate to this one design of the 'salt cellar and ink pot' - or is it the case that 501822 is a separate item altogether?            I'd suspect the former, but really not sure - so confirm I'll grab pix of whatever it is that these Registered Nos. when I'm next at Kew  ..............  probably the back end of next week.
So if anyone has additional items they want, please post and I'll do best to oblige.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 06:29:14 AM »
That's fine Kevin, thanks,

I was mainly interested in the Victorian pressed glass candy container which looks as if it's off to a sunnier climate unless I receive a better offer now on eBay.

Paul there was only one B&T illustration (salt cellar/ink well)  in the Manchester Glass publication and the rd number reference given was 501821/2

Thanks Mike

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 08:16:10 AM »
..............   perhaps a novel way of combining the salt and ink so that it was camouflaged when eating off your blue and white ;)      Thanks Mike, though not sure why Jenny Thompson's illustration is accompanied by the one Rd. No.                 Could be a little clearer - or not - when I get the photos.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 06:39:05 PM »
here is the link to cross reference Registrations Nos. 501821/2, showing the TNA Kew images of the 'book-shaped' salt and ink pot.   https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,66434.msg371581.html#msg371581

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand