No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina folded rim bowl. Pattern?  (Read 4853 times)

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • Whitefriars, IoW and Scandi.
    • England
Mdina folded rim bowl. Pattern?
« on: February 24, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »
Hi all. I recently found this lovely bowl but I'm querying my original colourway attribution. I thought it was tiger but now I'm not sure. Could anyone please help?

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • England
Re: Mdina folded rim bowl. Pattern?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
Two more images.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:19:34 PM »
Don't remember seeing one like that before, I would go with your first impression, the colours are like Tiger it is the pattern that does not match so well. Maybe it pre-dates Tiger, more akin to the yellow ochre items with a Tiger like band.

These bowls are harder to find than many of the shapes, suspect they were only made for a few years, maybe until the mid 1970s.

John

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:38:20 PM »
Thank you John. Would I be too optimistic by suggesting sea weed? There are many small bubbles as well as the the larger ones.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 07:55:06 PM »
It looks more like an experimental version of crystal blue stripe - one with touches of a dark amethyst in it.  Probably more related to the colours used in ice-cut lollipops and then cubes than to something quite as late as Tiger. Not that I think I'm talking years, just that the cubes came from the lollipops, and Tiger was not introduced after Harris left.
I do agree, that these everted rim bowls are very thin on the ground and early.
I suspect prior to the Sea and Sand design of tiger over the yellow background.

It's not what I would call seaweed. (which is not an official name - just what I call it)
That has random trails of blue glass which has silver chloride introduced to its surface.
The trails are the same as on Crystal Blue Stripe, but they're not stripes, they're in random shapes and all over.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 07:49:36 AM »
The bubbly yellow ochre ground is not found with crystal blue stripe and the stripes of this bowl are not found on the patterns with an ochre ground - so quite a mash up.  This shape bowl can also be found with the chevron pattern - exactly how that ties in with dates I am not sure other than a vague 'mid - late 70s'.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 01:10:05 PM »
I agree 100% on date, and on the "bit of a mish-mash". :)
And chevrons are later too.
And the very dark amethyst is indicative of early '70s, it matches the cubes and lollipops (and that small cylinder I made you look at, at the Fair last November, John.)

Phoenician made small everted rim dishes with both chevrons and bubbly stripes, some of which might have been mistaken for Mdina, if unmarked.

I don't, for one second, think this one here is Phoenician - it's far too different.

The nearest to crystal blue stripe on ochre would be the Onion stripey design, but that was made using silver nitrate, not chloride. Crystal blue stripe was one of the earliest ranges to be put into production and is still going.

I'd still think this dish would be earlier than any with the chevron pattern, so I'd be leaning towards the early '70s rather than around the middle.

It also looks quite big.  ;D What is the diameter, Marc?

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Marc1976

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 01:46:14 PM »
Hi Sue. I’m out at the moment so I’ll measure when I get home but as a guesstimate it’s about 8”

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 02:25:35 PM »
Lovely bowl.

Reminds me of my example below, for reference measures 7.5 inches in diameter.

Although not exact they are somewhat similar to the bowl shown in Mark Hill's book on page 28, which is described as a 'Michael Harris design circa 1971'.

Offline Patrick

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
Raymond Sultana commented on FB............... Hello Mark Thomas and All. This bowl is made up from the same materials as with the "Tiger" which in our trade we call it "Marble"
The bubbles come from the way you heat the silver nitrate, the perfect nitrate is with the least or no bubbles at all. As a norm the pattern is made up always the same and when the person making the stripes on the nitrate sees it's not so good, he can freely experiment and makes a different pattern, like this one in question. Hope that I have been of some help.

Raymond is an ex Mdina glassblower.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand