No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Riihimaen Stellaria Shape check  (Read 7110 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Riihimaen Stellaria Shape check
« on: August 05, 2006, 10:03:16 PM »
Hi

Ref this STELLARIA vase by Nanny Still for Riihimaen
auction_link

Right size and label according to Desingnlasin Hintakirja (pp218) - but wow the shape compaired with the drawing is totally off.

Was this shape updated or toyed around with - my DH is 2005 so I would expect it to show all variations.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 10:17:47 PM »
Hi Adam,  :lol:
Long time no 'see.' I have the 2005 book and have just had a look. I agree that the shape in the book is a bit difficult to decipher as it is only sketch. The main difference is, towards the botton of the vase, the book shows that the sides should more be 'rounded,' whereas the vase shown in the link has decidedly squared off edges and it is not shown as dimpled in the book either. There are also fewer lines on the vase shown, than in the book.
However, I saw this and wanted to bid on it myself, as I think it is a good example, but the bidding has already gone way past my budget!

Now I can answer Frank's post in the cafe. Good pictures are essential!
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2006, 01:06:01 AM »
Hi Della

Good to speak again - I have been away from the board for some months, work commitments abroad.

I have a confirm on the eBay shape in another Finnish glass book, which leaves me thinking the DL sketches are really quite bad sometimes.

I have often thought this when comparing with other pattern books such as the large format 'brochure' reissues from the Finnish Glass Museum.

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2006, 09:16:51 AM »
Please mention the book title, not everyone will be aware of it (including me).

Design sketches are often just that and the actual piece may vary. On this catalogue page I have replaced a few drawings with photos but I will only accept labelled examples to prove the match. When I finish enhancing the catalogue, the original drawings will be shown alongside pictures. This will show how reality and sketches can differ. http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page12.htm

Also designs that are in production for a long period can evolve:
http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Page02vary.htm

Offline Pat

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2006, 10:31:54 AM »
I wanted to bid on the Stellaria also. However the last one for sale went for £140 so I guessed it would go beyond me.
No retreat, No surrender.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2006, 10:44:50 AM »
Sorry Frank,

The book title is Designlasin hintakirja ISBN 952-99515-0-7
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 03:04:25 PM »
My Comparison books (to Designlasin hintakirja) are the 'Soumalaista Lasia' - Glass manufacture brochures (Finnish Glass) from the Finnish Glass Museum - 1950, 60, 70, a different book for each era (soft back 82 - 100 pp) - they include brochures and catalogue pages from all the Finnish glass houses

Adam P

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
Adam,
Do you possibly have a link to where I could buy them? I have just had a look on the Finnish glass museum website and there are tons of books to choose from.  :?

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2006, 03:54:11 PM »
Hi Della

http://www.antiikkijataidekirjat.com/index.html?target=dept_6.html

This guy has lots of these types of books - I have Soumalaista and Soumen Lasi books - There is also a good book just on the work of 'Nanny Still' I have not got that but am told it is excellent

The bookshop is very good and gets me what I need - especially ref Scandinavian glass

Adam P

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2006, 04:04:26 PM »
Thanks Adam, you are a darling.  :lol:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand