No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Talking about Odd bits of Glass!  (Read 3228 times)

Offline ardy

• Members
Talking about Odd bits of Glass!
« on: March 02, 2018, 01:19:22 AM »
I bought this only because nobody on ebay wanted it and it was so cheap for something of this quality (why do they buy Chinese?).

I have it in my main display area because I like it so much. This and the bullicante thread below are the 2 odd balls in my A.S. display.

It has a channel up the front leading to the spout but this is definitely a vase in my house.

37 cm (14.5") tall, 20cm (8") wide and weighs 2.6kg (5 Ibs 11oz)

P.S. It also reminded me of A.S. Nastro Rachiamato vases that are beyond my reach.
Clean and Crisp a Murano twist.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Talking about Odd bits of Glass!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 12:23:48 PM »
It really has a personality, doesn't it? Wonderful work too.
Well done. And more fool those that didn't recognise it's quality. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 10:41:08 PM »
Sue, it is not everyones taste but it grabbed me.  Yesterday I was looking at the top ebay bids on 'collectors weekly' and 5 of the top 7 were cheap copies, mostly of faces, of which there are hundreds out there.They look Chinese to me.

I do feel sorry for people who pay 4-500 dollars on a piece of rubbish that is worth 30 bucks at best.
Archimede tops my list.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:09:29 PM »
There's a learning curve for everybody. And far too many unscrupulous folk around. :'(
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:22 PM »
Hi All, Just noticed a similar jug/vase on ebay but in sommerso with ribbing up both sides. It has a label stating Arte Murano (Is that Lavorozini [sp?]).
I looked for Arte Murano on blind Google but nothing came up. Could not find the label either.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ARTE-MURANO-ART-GLASS-SOMMERSO-CASED-APPLIED-LATTICE-11-1-2-VASE-ORIG-STICKER/352564101678?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
Archimede tops my list.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:21:24 AM »
The one in the ebay link is sold under the Fifth Avenue brand in the USA and is made in China

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:11:26 PM »
Well sleuthed, Your Editorialshipness.  ;)
It's not nearly as nice as ardy's, in my opinion, although the sommerso looks pretty good.
And so what is ardy's is Chinese? - it's still fabulous and he didn't pay over the odds for it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:59 PM »
Interesting Christine, Well I am stuffed! If the Chinese are making glass like mine then the chances of them copying all the great Murano glass in the next few years is highly probable and our collections will be worthless.

Still like it, although the shock of me collecting some Chinese glass will take a while to get over!!!!!
Archimede tops my list.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 06:27:56 PM »
I stopped collecting glass in the late 2010s because the Chinese were making copies of older American glass and I was losing the ability to distinguish between American glass and the copies or variations the Chinese were making. I started collecting again in the last couple of years and was surprised to see the quality of glass they are making now and how much harder it was to distinguish it from other makers around the world. I recently bought a piece that I was certain was Viking, but it later turned out to be Chinese florist glass. I've just decided to embrace it since good glass is good glass. I just wish it was easier to trace the Chinese glass back to specific makers or regions. Not going out of my way to collect Chinese glass but no longer using it for target practice.
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Offline ardy

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2019, 10:19:29 PM »
kwqd: As a collector of Archimede Seguso with a reasonably large collection, I am still in target practice mode. The thought of my better pieces of AS being copied is a worry. I already bought a vase from Japan claiming to be AS with a signature that looked close enough for a big important piece like I thought it was, when it arrived it was obviously not by him. I understand that these copies are coming out of eastern Europe.
Archimede tops my list.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand