No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this German glass ?  (Read 882 times)

Offline bohemianczechglass

• Members
  • Not so new now but still learning every day
    • czech glass
    • Czech Republic
Is this German glass ?
« on: March 02, 2018, 03:57:24 PM »
I bought at auction, in the Czech Republic, a selection of glass. The attached item is interesting but I know nothing about it. A friend said it was German but knew nothing more. Can anyone help to identify it please ? - my expertise is in Czech glass - German glass is something new.

The vase is approximately 20 cm tall, 6.5 cm top and 5 cm bottom. It is olive green, clear glass encased. The glass is textured - see last photo.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Is this German glass ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 08:33:24 PM »
Hi  -  not that it's guaranteed - or even suspected - of helping with an attribution, but a picture of the underside of the foot may help, possibly.

Like you, I know less than nothing about German glass - but your friend's comment sounds authoratative, though they appear not to qualify the assertion  .................  is it unusual to sound so positive without some sense of why?          perhaps just a gut feeling :) :)

Is the vase mould blown entirely - with a cold worked rim?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

• Members
    • czech glass
    • Czech Republic
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 12:49:52 PM »
Hi Paul S

Thank you for your reply. I will add a photograph of the foot as suggested.

I would say the vase is entirely mould blown and the rim is certainly cold worked.

I should perhaps clarify my friends comments on the glass - he has a 'second hand' shop and sees a lot of glass, mainly Czech glass, and when it is not Czech it is usually Polish or German. He remembers buying and selling a very similar vase many years ago and he bought it from a German client who was selling family glass - so he feels it is German.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »

• Members
    • czech glass
    • Czech Republic
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:53:16 PM »
Hi Paul S

The photograph of the base is attached. Hope this helps.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:57:45 PM »
thanks  -  although your image is small and allows for little magnification, I'd suggest we can see sufficient to avoid the need to re-photograph on a larger scale.          It's probably my eyesight, but did wonder if there was some sort of central cartouche which included letters or words - though am sure you would have mentioned this had that been the case.

Regret I'm none the wiser as to helping with maker or origin, though that impression of circles made by the mould is something I've seen before, somewhere.
About the only thought I can offer would be a suggestion that your glass might possibly date to somewhere between mid 1960s to c. 1980 - clear-cased coloured glass with moulded textured appearance seems to have been not uncommon during that period.

Do you know if there is an active, specifically German based glass forum such as the GMB?               There is a sub-section for Germany here on the GMB, but apparently it doesn't allow requests for id.

• Members
    • czech glass
    • Czech Republic
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 06:36:01 PM »
Paul S

Thank you for your observations. Unfortunately there are no letters or numbers on the base - there are just more circles in the centre.

The base is very distinctive - perhaps someone else on the site will recognise it  :). Let us hope so.

Thank you very much for your time - very much appreciated.

Offline px

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 05:32:30 PM »
Oh, this is from Finland, Riihimäen lasi. Tamara Aladin designed a series of optic mould blown vases in 1966. All produced in 1967. This design number is 1435. (the others are 1429-1434, all with the same kind of surface)

• Members
    • czech glass
    • Czech Republic
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 06:00:59 PM »
PX

Thank you very much for your post - absolutely fantastic. I know nothing about glass from Finland so I will enjoy researching it further and increasing my knowledge. As a retired architect the architecture from Finland has always entranced me so to now know a little about glass is wonderful.

The vase is very elegant and your information makes it even more special.

Thank you once again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand